What's new

DNS TTL for sgb02.asuswebstorage.com is 3 seconds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John Clinton

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

I searched this forum and the Asus support site for my DNS oddity and did not find any hits.

Environment:
Router: ASUS RT-AC66U
Asus merlin version: 380.63_2 (I know I am behind a release)
I have AiCloud 2.0 Smart sync enabled to sync a directory on a USB thumb drive attached to the router with Asus Webstorage.
Router, syncing, wireless all working fine.

The home network is configured to use OpenDNS and I have stats enabled. I have a local bind9 server running for local network device naming, however it configured as caching and points to the OpenDNS DNS Servers for all external lookups. I also log queries on my local bind9 server to see what device is requesting what DNS records.

On a typical day, according to my OpenDNS stats, I see the following in the Domain listings. The number of record requests for the hostnames listed below averages about 17K to 20K request per day! According to my local bind9 query logs, it is the RT-AC66U making the requests at several per minute).

sgb02.asuswebstorage.com 10,935 requests
sg02.a.asuswebstorage.com 6,392 requests

Dig (see output below) reveals the issue quickly. The TTL on the A Record for sg02.a.asuswebstorage.com. is set to 3 seconds. I have never seen such a low TTL for a host and 3 seconds seems highly unusual.

I dislike pounding the OpenDNS servers with ~20K requests for the same pair of hosts per day.

So my question for the group here is does it make sense to contact the right department at Asus and get this crazy TTL increased? I would not know where to start except for Asus Webstorage support email address but milage may vary.

Alternatively, it seems like I could manipulate the hosts file on the router itself thus preventing 20K unneeded requests to be sent over the net. I just would need to watch for changes to the A record for sg02.a.asuswebstorage.com perhaps on a daily basis. However, I could do this via a script and prevent the spew of DNS requests for Asus Webstorage.

Thoughts anyone? Does anyone else see the same behavior when using AiCloud sync?

Best,
John

DIG Output below:

john-imac:Downloads john$ dig sgb02.asuswebstorage.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> sgb02.asuswebstorage.com

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 62255

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 11

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;sgb02.asuswebstorage.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

sgb02.asuswebstorage.com. 13630 IN CNAME sg02.a.asuswebstorage.com.

sg02.a.asuswebstorage.com. 3 IN A 98.158.146.5