What's new

DNSFilter exceptions not applied when client connected to AIMesh node.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goodrip1

New Around Here
Hi. I have an ASUS RT-AX88U running at AIMesh router (running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18), and a Blue Cave added as an AIMesh node.
I have DNSFilter set globally to Cleanbrowser Adult, with several clients in the client list set to ‘No Filtering’.
When one of the clients in the list connects to the router (RT-AX88U), the client is connected to the standard DNS, as expected (not filtered), but if the same client is connected to the Blue Cave, then the client appears to be filtered according to the global setting.
Does anybody have any idea why this could be?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I have an ASUS RT-AX88U running at AIMesh router (running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18), and a Blue Cave added as an AIMesh node.
I have DNSFilter set globally to Cleanbrowser Adult, with several clients in the client list set to ‘No Filtering’.
When one of the clients in the list connects to the router (RT-AX88U), the client is connected to the standard DNS, as expected (not filtered), but if the same client is connected to the Blue Cave, then the client appears to be filtered according to the global setting.
Does anybody have any idea why this could be?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
try setting the node to no filter

Thanks for your suggestion. I’m not sure I can do that, since the AIMesh node is managed by the router in this configuration. How would I do that?

A power-cycle of both router and node did the trick. The Blue Cave had also reverted to only using 5GHz band, so something was not quite right. Thanks for your help, #SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

So, was the problem solved by "just a reboot" or did you need to "add the mesh nodes to the dns filtering list and do a reboot?"

I added the mesh node to the dns filtering list as 'no filtering', but did not notice a difference. I then rebooted router and node, and it worked. I don't know if just a reboot would have done it without adding the mesh node to the list. I may try that and feedback.

Last edited:
I tried taking the mesh node entry out and rebooted. It did not work. I then tried adding the mesh node in the DNSFilter list again, and restarted both router and node, and now it still doesn’t work as needed. I don’t know what’s going on here. I suppose it is possible that when I thought I was connected to the node when it worked, I was actually connected to the router.

Thanks Goodrip1 for running the experiment, and I'm sorry the effort backfired on you. This seems like something that should be nailed down. SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, why are we supposed to set the dnsfilter to 'no filter?" Why not set the filter to "router?"