What's new

Dnsmasq randomly dying

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnathonm

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone,

I hope you are well. I am running the latest Merlin beta and am running into an odd situation. Dnsmasq is dying randomly on its own. I can't pin down any specific cause and I have to ssh into the router and restart it manually with service start_dnsmasq. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

I am only seeing: Jul 23 13:43:44 dnsmasq[7716]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM

Thanks for your help.

J

Does dnsmasq restart? dnsmasq will automatically be restarted if you are changing some of the router parameters...anything related to dhcp ranges, hostname, manually assigned ip addresses, timezones.....and some more I'm sure I didn't think of yet. During boot for example, dnsmasq can restart 4 or 5 times as various services come on line. The SIGTERM means it's being directed to stop by the firmware.

You're right Colin, it's not the 68, its the 86 I transposed the two numbers by accident.

ASUS AC2900 WiFi Dual-band Gigabit Wireless Router with 1.8GHz Dual-core Processor and AiProtection Network Security Powered by Trend Micro, AiMesh Whole Home WiFi System Compatible (RT-AC86U)

Now as for Dnsmasq, it's actually crashing and not restarting on it's own. I have to restart the service manually or reboot for it to restart. I understand it shuts down when changes are being made but this is random and requires me to ssh in and restart it. Are there logs somewhere that might give more detail? I haven't rebooted since it died last.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!