What's new

DNSMasq with OpenVPN client setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asusrouter9325

New Around Here
Hello, have a ASUS RT-AC68P with the latest Merlin firmware with an unRAID server running behind it with Nextcloud. Trying to setup DNSMasq on the router and followed the guide here. I am using AirVPN.

Code:
address=/airdns.org/192.168.1.75

This works fine so when on LAN and type in the DDNS Nextcloud server address ***.airdns.org:pORT it redirects to the internal server. Externally it works fine also.

However, this breaks the WAN access and keeps me from accessing any websites, etc.

In the WAN -> WAN DNS Setting - i have it set to Yes, automatic

AiProtection -> Enable DNS-based Filtering is OFF

LAN -> DNS Server 1 -> 192.168.1.1

VPN -> OpenVPN Clients -> Accept DNS Configuration to "Exclusive" and Redirect Internet traffic to "Policy Rules"

Any ideas?

I also have same setup UNRAID->Nextcould (expect VPN provider)

Would like to have Nextcloud on DDNS adddress to be able to send pics when im on local network and on the outside internet.

what is DNSMasq for?

It will do DDNS? or im getting it wrong?

Thanks

LAN -> DNS Server 1 -> 192.168.1.1
What is that for? Is the IP the actual router's IP you're setting this on?
If so, remove it, there's no need to add ANYTHING at all in these two fields unless you know exactly what you do.
Once removed your line in dnsmasq.conf.add will work.
what is DNSMasq for?
Its the DHCP and DNS resolver on your router. It does not do DDNS, that is done through WAN / DDNS.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!