What's new

Do AiProtectipn Email Notifications Actually Work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

I'm able to test the email sending functionality via SSH using the email command directly so I assume things are configured correctly. However, no matter what I do I can't get AiProtection to send me an email. For example if I go to https://success.trendmicro.com/dcx/...nality-with-the-local-smart-protection-server and click on the sample "bad" URL I get the AiProtection page in my browser but no email gets sent about it.

Does anyone actually have this working? Do you get an email if you try the above approach to trigger AiProtection?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. This is on a RT-AX86U running 388.4 in case that matters.

The used to work for me but stopped with 388.4
I now get a syslog entry instead.

Some context for those reading this discussion, the OP posted similar earlier discussion:

It used to work up to Feb 2021 or thereabouts for me. I had to use gmail with 2-factor authentication enabled but using an in-app password. if I try to set that up again now, ie reset the in-app password, I get the warning that in-app passwords only works where modern security standards are not supported. (See screenshot). That may explain why the feature doesn’t work anymore: the Asus security standards have, presumabl, been tightened up in the last couple of years.

IMG_1562.jpeg

It used to work up to Feb 2021 or thereabouts for me. I had to use gmail with 2-factor authentication enabled but using an in-app password. if I try to set that up again now, ie reset the in-app password, I get the warning that in-app passwords only works where modern security standards are not supported. (See screenshot). That may explain why the feature doesn’t work anymore: the Asus security standards have, presumabl, been tightened up in the last couple of years.

View attachment 54263
I've got it setup with an app password. I can even send test emails via SSH. I just can't get AiProtection to send an email when an event happens.

Sounds like if you can get it to work there'd be an even better chance your shared data could be correlated with you as an individual. Maybe best to email yourself through a private service operating within your network. You could set /that/ to forward to a public account if necessary.

Interesting, that might explain why I can't get it to work.

Actually, I just tested it and I'm not getting the syslog messages either.
So, that's all gone wrong!

Can confirm that AiProtection notification emails stopped working on RT-AX58Uv1 some time during 2023, latest mail notification I have is from late February 2023.

Now running latest AsusWRT-Merlin 3004.388.5 on two different routers. Setting up a gmail account with app password generates a working test email, but browsing to a site that gets blocked by AiProtection does no longer generate notifications.

browsing to a site that gets blocked by AiProtection does no longer generate notifications.

Have you looked in the syslog to see if there's a log entry?
That's what mine was doing (Rather than sending emails) the last time it worked.

Have you looked in the syslog to see if there's a log entry?
That's what mine was doing (Rather than sending emails) the last time it worked.
Yes I have checked, there is nothing in the syslog for me. :( I even started from a clean factory reset, no luck.