What's new

Do Asus routers bought used still have the warranty?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J123

New Around Here
Just wondering if anyone has returned router for repair to Asus that was bought used (meaning no original receipt) but still shows as under warranty on Asus website? Asus warranty terms for RT-AC86U do not specifically exclude used items but it says you MAY be required to present proof of purchase. But then it says "Returning a Product to your Purchase Site or an Asus Authorized Service Provider during the warranty period does not automatically mean that it will be repaired free of charge. Upon receiving your product, the Service Centre reserves the right to check the validity of your warranty and your request for warranty service."

My AC86U has the power switch problem. The power switch does work sometimes so I just never touch it. If I have to reboot I just unplug or use the web interface. I would hate to spend the money to send it in and then they won't repair it.

Just wondering if anyone has returned router for repair to Asus that was bought used (meaning no original receipt) but still shows as under warranty on Asus website? Asus warranty terms for RT-AC86U do not specifically exclude used items but it says you MAY be required to present proof of purchase. But then it says "Returning a Product to your Purchase Site or an Asus Authorized Service Provider during the warranty period does not automatically mean that it will be repaired free of charge. Upon receiving your product, the Service Centre reserves the right to check the validity of your warranty and your request for warranty service."

My AC86U has the power switch problem. The power switch does work sometimes so I just never touch it. If I have to reboot I just unplug or use the web interface. I would hate to spend the money to send it in and then they won't repair it.

I would give ASUS Networking Support a call at 812-282-2787 (US) and patiently talk it over with a Rep. I've always had good luck with them. Before you call, collect your router information (see label on router), know what you want to accomplish, and prepare your answers toward that goal. Once you discover your options, you can decide what to do. If you enlist their help, they will likely handle your case then and there with instructions and RMA number for you to follow-up.

If there is cost to you, you might opt to live with it. You might also discover you have no recourse for warranty service anymore and can choose to open the case and 'adjust' the button hole, etc, if that will fix it, assuming it's a fit and finish issue.

OE

The problem with the switch is that it doesn't click and stay on the ON position. It will only do it after a bunch of tries. So I leave it in the ON position. I can live with it as the router works fine otherwise. My plan is to send it in before the warranty runs out in 2020. I was just curious if anyone else had returned a bought used no receipt router and what their experience was.

Last edited:
The problem with the switch is that it doesn't click and stay on the ON position. It will only do it after a bunch of tries. So I leave it in the ON position. I can live with it as the router works fine otherwise. My plan is to sent it in before the warranty runs out in 2020. I was just curious if anyone else had returned a bought used no receipt router and what their experience was.

Regarding the switch, maybe its free travel distance is out of spec, limited by the PCB mounting relative to the case, or maybe the case plastic is mis-formed a bit or just too tight.

If you still have the issue when the warranty expires, maybe you can open the case and warp/brace it out some or shave something here and there to allow the switch to travel unhindered to its limit. Maybe just loosen the case screws or add thin washers/spacer material to keep the halves a bit further apart. All guesswork here, since I have not taken one apart.

I would guess that the switch itself is ok since it does work, just barely.

OE