What's new

Do I need an access point or something different?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ingeborgdot

Regular Contributor
I have an AT&T router that is for my internet and is required to make my system work, so there will be no changes to that. Where I have my main router located the signal does not reach the other side of the house. I have my house wired with Cat 5e. Can I hook an access point to the Ethernet I have in the other section of the house? What would be the best way to extend the signal. I don't use the wireless much in that part, but I do use the wired access more than anything. I still need wireless though.

I have an older piece right now that is going bad and I need to get something new.

Any recommendations as to what people are using right now?

Last edited:
I have an older piece right now that is going bad and I need to get something new.
An older segment of cable (or what)?

An access point, or router configured as such, will certainly fit the bill. It sounds like your requirement is pretty low, so even an older router may perform well enough for your needs. Having a wired connection (backhaul) is definitely the preferred way to go, if possible.

If your cabling is old and problematic, then it may or may not be sufficient for your needs. Only you can really decide. You would need to run some benchmark tests to really know what is going on.

What I meant when I said I have an older piece right now, I was referring to having an older access point or bridge, whatever you want to call it.

My cat5e is in great shape and not problematic.

Do you have any recommendations on the access point to use??
Thanks.

What I meant when I said I have an older piece right now, I was referring to having an older access point or bridge, whatever you want to call it.

My cat5e is in great shape and not problematic.

Do you have any recommendations on the access point to use??
Thanks.

Are you happy with the AT&T WiFi? And how many sq ft per level is your house?

You can wire an AP to the AT&T router.

You can wire a router in AP mode to the AT&T router.

You can wire a mesh system of APs to the AT&T router.

You may be able to bridge the AT&T router and wire a mesh system of router with APs to the AT&T router.

An Asus router that supports AiMesh can serve in all of the above configurations.

OE

The AT&T router is ok. It gets the job done and no single router would cover my whole house either, so I'll just keep it at this point and think about adding something in the other section of the house.
So, if I got an Asus router with AiMesh, I could just hook it up to my Ethernet in the section I need some ports and some WiFi coverage?? Any recommendations on a router that would do such a thing? It does not need to be their best one.
Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!