What's new

Do I need Cat6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Migelo

Occasional Visitor
I've recently set up my home network (actually still deciding on the router here).

So if I'm going to have a Gbit network, are cat6 cables a must?

Also, I'm transferring files from my PC to the home server directly through the cable (router is 100Mbit and 500GB would take tooooo long) but I'm getting speeds around 13-15MB/s, HDDs on both PCs are capable of faster transfers. One has RAID0 and the server RAID5 with 3 drives.

Thx for your help.

Regards, Migelo

If you are getting 13MB+/sec using 100Mb LAN then you are doing great. Actually, 100Mb/s LAN is capable of 12.5MB/s on a good day. To get more than that indicates caching or inaccurate metering software.

No, you do not need Cat6 to run Gigabit. Gigabit runs fine over Cat5e up to 100m (328 feet). Some claim they get better throughput using Cat6 when cabling runs are on the longer end of the scale (over 100 feet).

Last edited:
Cat5e will work just fine, but Cat6 wouldn't hurt. I opted for Cat6 personally, as the difference in cost was quite minimal.

Do you _need_ it? Short answer..no. You can get CAT6 now for just minimal cost more than CAT5E though so might as well futureproof yourself. You're looking at maybe $20 more per 1k ft. spool on monoprice.

CAT5E will do gigabit just fine, as will CAT6, but CAT6 can handle 10gb if you need....and you don't.

Just get CAT6 and be done with it though. I hear it's all the rage.

Thx for your advices!

Got cat6 cable (so I can safely say it's not the cable) and tested direct link between my server and a PC. It turns out, the speed didn't change so it must be the network card.

Discussion continues here, in the appropriate topic.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!