What's new

Do I need updated equipment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

varakiro

Occasional Visitor
Greetings to all.
I have Motorola SB6141 and Asus AC68R, I recently upgraded my Internet plan to 300Mbps from 150, and the max speed I am able to get is around 270Mbps, before when I had the 150Mbps plan the speed tests will consistently exceeded 150 and were always around 170Mbps.

Should I upgrade some of the equipment?

Thanks in advance.

To get more throughput you will have to turn off the features that are disabling hardware acceleration.

The 6141 is only a 8 channel modem this is your bottleneck. Upgrade to a 16 or 24 channel modem.

Thanks for the reply, so I can still keep the Asus ac68 and any suggestions for a new cable modem

Arris SB6183 16x4 Channel. Netgear CM600 24x8 Channel. Both excellent modems. Make sure they are on your cable ISP's as approved for service. If you have comcast they are approved.

And yes the AC68 is a good router no issues there.

Thanks for the reply, so I can still keep the Asus ac68 and any suggestions for a new cable modem
I also have the AC68U, and like I said above without hardware acceleration this router will max out somewhere between 210 and 300 Mbps (depending on which particular features are in use). With hardware acceleration it is capable of ~900Mbps.

I've had the AC68 since 2014 without a single hitch or a problem, so I applied why fix it if it ain't broken and didn't even update the original firmware.
It consistently exceeded my expectations and my ISP advertised previous plan speeds 100 Mbps and later on 150 Mbps but not the 300 Mbps.
Do I have to update the firmware too? and if it's not too much trouble can you guys point me to a thread about turning off the features that are disabling hardware acceleration.
Thanks in advance.

I've had the AC68 since 2014 without a single hitch or a problem, so I applied why fix it if it ain't broken and didn't even update the original firmware.
Do I have to update the firmware too?
There have been a number of serious security issues since 2014 which have now been patched. So I strongly suggest that you update to a current firmware version for that reason alone. Either Asus stock firmware, or a custom firmware like Merlin's or John's.

and if it's not too much trouble can you guys point me to a thread about turning off the features that are disabling hardware acceleration.
The most common cause of hardware acceleration being disabled is the use of QoS.

I already had the QQS and parental controls off, I found the ip traffic monitoring but didn't see any options to enable or disable it..
I also turned off Nat acceleration should I turn it back on?

Thanks.

I already had the QQS and parental controls off, I found the ip traffic monitoring but didn't see any options to enable or disable it..
Parental controls shouldn't make any difference. IPTraffic is the "per IP traffic monitoring", not the general Traffic Monitoring (subtly different). See Tools > Other Settings.

I also turned off Nat acceleration should I turn it back on?
Yes. NAT acceleration is the same thing as Hardware acceleration!

I turned the Nat acceleration back on but I couldn't find Tools > Other Setting for Traffic monitoring.
Thanks.
Sorry. I forgot to say, IPTraffic (and IIRC the "Tools > Other Settings" tab) is only present in Merlin's custom firmware. I guess you are running the stock Asus firmware in which case you can ignore this.

I recently upgraded my Internet plan to 300Mbps from 150, and the max speed I am able to get is around 270Mbps
What you can do as a test is

a) shutdown your PC
b) power off your cable modem and unplug it from the router
c) wait 10 minutes
d) plug the cable modem directly into your PC
e) turn on the cable modem and wait for it to start up
f) turn on your PC.

Your PC should now be directly connected to the internet. Perform your speed test again and it should give you a true reading of your internet speed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!