What's new

Do LAN port clients skip the wifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Muis

Occasional Visitor
I have an AC66U and just bought an AC86U. I plan to use the 66U as a wireless bridge connected to the 86U.

Now I wonder: will the clients that are connected to the LAN ports of the bridge be able communicate directly?

For example, when I transfer a file using Samba will it only use the bridge as a switch so that it acts as a wired network? Or will it send all the data wirelessly to the main router and back to the bridge (slow)?

I'm not sure if the bridge is aware that it can take a "shortcut" since all the administration (dhcp, etc) is done on the main router.

Clients will only use the wireless connection of the bridge when necessary (i.e., when the other device is only reachable across the wireless bridge). All wired clients of the bridge communicate directly w/ each other.

Clients will only use the wireless connection of the bridge when necessary (i.e., when the other device is only reachable across the wireless bridge). All wired clients of the bridge communicate directly w/ each other.

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure this was the case.

I have an AC66U and just bought an AC86U. I plan to use the 66U as a wireless bridge connected to the 86U.

Now I wonder: will the clients that are connected to the LAN ports of the bridge be able communicate directly?

For example, when I transfer a file using Samba will it only use the bridge as a switch so that it acts as a wired network? Or will it send all the data wirelessly to the main router and back to the bridge (slow)?

I'm not sure if the bridge is aware that it can take a "shortcut" since all the administration (dhcp, etc) is done on the main router.

This article suggests the AC66U LAN switch is a bunch of better implemented, multi-port, hardware bridges vs. the WiFi bridge back to the router... so, you could conclude that the wired clients on the AC66U will enjoy the fast, direct access to each other that you want:

Bridge vs. Switch: What's the Difference (fiberopticshare.com)

OE