What's new

Do settings from Wireless all carry over to Guest WiFi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

distilled

Please forgive if this is a silly question. It seems obvious, but I can't easily find a definitive answer, and I am not sure how to design an experiment that would prove this either way for all cases.

Specifically, if Protected Management Frames is enabled in Wireless settings 2.4 GHz (on an AC86U) does that mean Protected Management Frames will be enabled for all 2.4 GHz guest networks as well?

I tried setting it to Required, and the only visible change was a few Wyze cameras (running the Dafang hack) wouldn't rejoin, even after appropriately updating wpa_supplicant.conf. Since they were on a Guest WiFi, I am *assuming* the Wireless settings do carry over, is this correct? Does YazFi change this?

I am asking mostly because i have a hard time believing that all the 8266 type chips in all the smart devices on my LAN all support PMF so well, because it had a pretty slow and rocky start.

Edited to add: Is there a command line that can turn PMF on and off?

Last edited:
I don't know whether the command is the same on the 86U as my 68U, but you can check the value per interface (change the interface names to match your router).
Code:
wl -i eth1 mfp
wl -i eth2 mfp
wl -i wl0.1 mfp

Thanks kindly, that helps a lot. I will report back if it works on AC86U for the sake of posterity.

I discovered that one TV doesn't work with PMF required and it drops connection when PMF is set to Capable. The specific TV is not used much, so putting a quick on/off switch in Home Assistant is convenient. I wanted to use the Samsung TV integration to automatically disable PMF when i turn the TV on, but after thinking about that for a minute, i realized why it wouldn't work

wl -i wl0.1 mfp returns 0, but I can't find a command that changes the state of protected management frames.

wl -i wl0.1 mfp returns 0, but I can't find a command that changes the state of protected management frames.
Have you compared the number returned by those commands to the PMF setting in the GUI to determine whether it carries over to the guest (which was your original question)?

0=disable, 1=capable, 2=required

I have not, but it returns 0 regardless of whether protected management frames is on or off, so I am not sure what it is doing.