What's new

do the nodes in an Asus mesh communicate directly with each other( like they do in Zigbee )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ozzieg

New Around Here
I'm trying to more deeply understand mesh internals in terms of how they operate. Consider a mesh which is composed of one router( we'll call main ) and two nodes( we'll call A and B ). My aim is to understand these things well:

a) what kind of communication in terms of network frames are sent from node A to node B, if any ?
b) is the main router responsible for directing all frame related "operational" activity to and from the nodes in a matter congruent to a wlan controller ?

My home network topology is not using a mesh. It is composed of 8 wired access points( 4 Asus and 4 other ) spread out in such a way that provides very good coverage and speed. There are a couple of small hiccups I'm trying to smooth out:

1) some stationary clients( like cameras, smart plugs, printers, thermostats ) sometimes choose very far access points even though there are better choices. These devices still operate, but add to the noise of the channel. I would like to provide a "home" BSSID with which they have primary affinity. That way if they have strayed to a farther AP, for example because that AP was offline for a firmware refresh, they can be encouraged to re-associate "home" when appropriate. I have used mesh node binding as well as the roaming block list, but they don't seem to help once a device is connected to a farther AP, they help keep a device when a connection is already formed. Perhaps I am missing something fundamental.

2) general roaming works very well. Laptops, phones, tablets move very well. Once in a while, a device may be slow to transition, but it is not usually noticeable.

I want to determine to what extent a mesh network may help with these. How the data flows between mesh nodes and between the main router and the nodes. As a side project, I am also considering to build my own controller to help "nudge" devices to their best AP - those which are stationary and those in motion, especially when using APs from different vendors.

Afaik, AiMesh v2.0 nodes do not communicate with each other. They are controlled/set up by the main router.

If your specific client devices are sticky, then you may not be able to help them. No matter what you do or what system you try.

However, if the proper control channels are used, along with a good M&M install, you will find that most modern devices roam quite effectively with AiMesh v2.0 and Asus routers running RMerlin firmware (I don't use stock).

I'm trying to more deeply understand mesh internals

AiMesh is a marketing name. It's a central management of wireless repeaters or wired AP's with very limited control. It's not a true multi-AP and multi-channel mesh system. Asus suggests up to 5 nodes, perhaps because of huge channel utilization levels AiMesh creates.

It is composed of 8 wired access points

If your clients stick to further located AP, you have too many AP's.

The main router may determine to do so (or forced, by running the optimization in AiMesh), but the nodes themselves don't have that AI built-in.