What's new

Do there exist NAS devices that can run via POE?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

168gr

New Around Here
I find myself in a somewhat odd situation in which there are ethernet cables run to a location I'd like to put a NAS device, but no power outlets. (It's a vault - one cable runs a POE IP camera, and I'd like to run a small NAS device off the other for some incremental fire/physical security.)

The specs for a number of solid-state hard drives show very low power consumption, on the order of a watt or two. It seems plausible then that a NAS could be constructed that had no external power cable, but rather ran off POE.

Does such a SSD-equipped NAS device exist, off the shelf?

Failing that, I suppose I could park a POE splitter next to an ordinary NAS device, and put a low power solid state drive in it. In that case, can anyone suggest a diskless NAS that has overhead power requirements low enough to make this work?

Thank you.

There are no NASes with PoE built in. So you would need some sort of converter/splitter anyway at the NAS end.

802.3af PoE can support up to around 25W of power. You could run a single-drive 3TB NAS using a "Green" or low-power normal SATA drive for less than that (15W or so).

25W PoE is 48V or more. Requires a mating PoE device to extract the power and perform the protocol.

Trying to power that much via cat5 is an issue. I'd run a separate cable, with good sized wire gauge, and run the 12V or whatever the NAS uses, assuming it doesn't have a 110V AC input.