1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 Cable Modems and MOCA

Discussion in 'MoCA, HomePlug, HPNA' started by Mark070, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Mark070

Mark070 Occasional Visitor

Hey there,

Recently I helped a family member with his new Google Nest Wifi (yes, he wanted easy and never touch). During this time we were talking about him having Coax already ran to the various rooms and possibly use MOCA for that.

Awhile ago, Best Buy sold him a Arris SB8200 Cable Modem. That modem is a DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem. I know the frequencies of those cable modems could collide with MOCA, but ... based on today (using Comcast as provider) would they really? Also, is it possible to tell the SB8200 which frequencies to use?

Side Question .. I have a Netgear CM600 Cable Modem. That is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, and it works great with my MOCA network. The advertising for that Modem says 960 MB (just under GB speeds). The specs say for a 400 Mb/s data plan. Real work testing puts it at 275 Mb/s (roughly). Why are these numbers so wildly off?

Also, if my plan goes above 275 Mb/s, I would look to get the CM1000 Cable Modem (DOCSIS3.1), same question as the start .. colliding with MOCA.

Thanks!
    Mark

2. Booboo22

Booboo22 Regular Contributor

3. jrmtz85

jrmtz85 Regular Contributor

I moved about 1.5 months ago. I had 1gbit with my old ISP via a DOCSIS 3.1 modem (I wanna say it was the Arris). Never tested MOCA on it, but the admin page noted the highest frequency used at around ~950. At new place I have Spectrum gigabit on the Ubee E31U2V1 DOCSIS 3.1. Have note been able to sign into that admin page, but I have 2 Translite MOCA 2.5's in use (with 2 more on the way) and have had no issues. The adapters show PHY rates of ~3500, so all seems good to me.