What's new

Does AiMesh Node Need To Be Within Wi-Fi Range During Setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

If I'm using ethernet to connect an AiMesh node to the main router, does the node need to be within Wi-Fi range during the setup process? Or can the node be configured if it's only accessible by the main router via the ethernet connection plugged into the WAN port on the router?

Thanks,
Harry

If I'm using ethernet to connect an AiMesh node to the main router, does the node need to be within Wi-Fi range during the setup process? Or can the node be configured if it's only accessible by the main router via the ethernet connection plugged into the WAN port on the router?

Thanks,
Harry
Ethernet connection from router LAN port to AiMesh node WAN port should work. Direct connection or connected through an un-managed switch. And if that fails just bring it within three meters of the router. Factory reset the node first.

Thanks,
Harry

Hardwired is the preferred method to configure, you'll be fine. Sometimes it doesn't work over wireless at all to get it set up. It doesn't care if it can see wifi if it is hardwired.

Ethernet connection from router LAN port to AiMesh node WAN port should work. Direct connection or connected through an un-managed switch. And if that fails just bring it within three meters of the router. Factory reset the node first.
That's sort of what I'm trying to get a definite answer for ... if Wifi isn't required to setup the node, why would I need to bring it within 3 meters of the main router?

Hardwired is the preferred method to configure, you'll be fine. Sometimes it doesn't work over wireless at all to get it set up. It doesn't care if it can see wifi if it is hardwired.
So does that mean that a brand new or factory reset router listens on certain ports on the WAN connection waiting to possibly be setup as a mesh node?

This is sort of a tangent question, but wouldn't that mean that if you're setting up a router (not a node) which means your WAN port is connected to the internet, someone could actually setup your router as their hard wired mesh node if the timing was just right?

Last edited:
I suspect the recipe actually is "connect to a LAN port on the node". As you say, allowing the node to bond to something it sees out the WAN port would be a pretty serious security hazard. Once you've configured the node as a node (AP, not router) then it should treat all its ports alike from a security standpoint --- but it has no business doing so when not yet configured.

Having said that ... I've not tested it.

Keep in mind also that if you bought your units in a multipack, they come preconfigured to associate with each other. It's possible that that behavior will work even if the node's initial connection is out its WAN port. That's less of a security hazard since the main unit is recognized by whatever ASUS is using for the purpose (probably just security by obscurity :( but it's better than nothing).

So does that mean that a brand new or factory reset router listens on certain ports on the WAN connection waiting to possibly be setup as a mesh node?

This is sort of a tangent question, but wouldn't that mean that if you're setting up a router (not a node) which means your WAN port is connected to the internet, someone could actually setup your router as their hard wired mesh node if the timing was just right?

When you set it to Access Point/Aimesh Node during setup, all ports become LAN ports, you can use whatever port you want. On the master you need to use a LAN port obviously. I don't know if it auto detects the master or if you go to the aimesh screen and click something, but either way, should be easy. Obviously have your master set up first.

I suspect the recipe actually is "connect to a LAN port on the node". As you say, allowing the node to bond to something it sees out the WAN port would be a pretty serious security hazard. Once you've configured the node as a node (AP, not router) then it should treat all its ports alike from a security standpoint --- but it has no business doing so when not yet configured.

Having said that ... I've not tested it.

Keep in mind also that if you bought your units in a multipack, they come preconfigured to associate with each other. It's possible that that behavior will work even if the node's initial connection is out its WAN port. That's less of a security hazard since the main unit is recognized by whatever ASUS is using for the purpose (probably just security by obscurity :( but it's better than nothing).

Once you set it to AP/Node there isn't a WAN port anymore (per se). At least not on my old AC1900.

Once you set it to AP/Node there isn't a WAN port anymore (per se).

Right, after you've configured it as an AP it should treat all its ports alike. The question here is whether it's that trusting before it's been configured.

Right, after you've configured it as an AP it should treat all its ports alike. The question here is whether it's that trusting before it's been configured.

Oh, I guess personally I wouldn't even connect the two together until I had chosen that option. Not that it should hurt anything, WAN port will temporarily get a LAN IP from the master, then it will go away when you switch modes, but seems to make more sense to have it in the mode you want before doing anything that may confuse the upstream router.

Thanks,
Harry

Side note - these are the sorts of things that you can just try yourself and find out too - kind of the best way to learn. Asus also has step by step instructions in the documentation.