What's new

Does AIMesh rely on router's DHCP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Manorexia

Occasional Visitor
I have DHCP turned off on my router and have a Windows 2008R2 server handling DNS and DHCP. I can NOT get my two RT-AC88U routers to connect to each other via AiMesh. The closest I've gotten is I've plugged the node into the main router, and it seemed to work, but the node IMMEDIATELY shows up as "Offline" under the AIMesh nodes.

You DO get a warning when turning off DHCP on the router that it could affect AIMesh (however, OpenVPN hands out addresses just fine with DHCP turned off under "LAN").

OpenVPN doesn't use DHCP, it manually allocates IPs from a defined pool when running in TUN mode.

OpenVPN doesn't use DHCP, it manually allocates IPs from a defined pool when running in TUN mode.

This is nice to know, but it was an "aside" comment. My question was does AiMesh require DHCP running on the router, or should an external DHCP server still work? (As an aside, both routers are running your firmware, :) although it didn't work with the stock firmware, either. I mainly switched to Asuswrt-merlin for the DHCP-relay functionality)

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, up until recently, I had the OpenVPN set up using TAP, which does use MAC addresses (and thus, DHCP), and the router handed these out fine (even though DHCP was turned off)... but again... that's beside the point.

Last edited:
I have DHCP turned off on my router and have a Windows 2008R2 server handling DNS and DHCP. I can NOT get my two RT-AC88U routers to connect to each other via AiMesh. The closest I've gotten is I've plugged the node into the main router, and it seemed to work, but the node IMMEDIATELY shows up as "Offline" under the AIMesh nodes.

You DO get a warning when turning off DHCP on the router that it could affect AIMesh (however, OpenVPN hands out addresses just fine with DHCP turned off under "LAN").

You sound more familiar with this than me... I would think the AiMesh router/root node requires DHCP enabled, or else run the AiMesh root node in AP mode with DHCP enabled elsewhere.

OE

Just a quick update: I turned on the DHCP service, and still nothing... can't see it wirelessly, plugged into the LAN, or plugged directly into the router. I gave up and just made it a repeater with the same SSID and pw. Works, but disappointed that AiMesh doesn't seem to work with IDENTICAL devices...