What's new

does anyone see reason for happy 376.45/AC-66U users to revert to v...43 fork?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RussellInCincinnati

My clients, all RT-AC66U router users, several with intensive SMB file sharing are all running happily with version ..376.45.

(nice USB 3.0 flash drives with lots of on-chip RAM caching, ext2 format, the '66U's are actually the sites' file servers for almost 2 years now, responding faster than ever lately with the newest releases)

Am seeing all the posts about the version ...376.43 fork, and noticing that the ...376.45 version is no longer downloadable from Merlin's standard web site. Was wondering if anyone knows of reasons to revert all my RT-AC66U sites, to the recent ...376.43 fork?

As the owner of the 374.43 fork I'll throw in my 2 cents....

First, I just checked and the 376.45 code is still available on Merlin's web site. No change there and I'm sure Merlin would announce if there was a major confirmed problem and he was taking it down.

Now, to the main question. If it's working well for you on everything you are asking it do it, there is absolutely no reason to change. You'll give up the new gui changes on client/status and other changes that Asus may have embedded in their big merges that I don't see. My personal opinion is that while there are some people who may be having problems in some specific environments with the new code, there are many that are also running well...and if you're in the second group....be happy and go forward!

As is said, if you're happy and having no issues, don't even worry about it. I switched and am very happy I did, but I was having some issues that have been fixed by switching to the fork. You would know if you are having the issues I was having, trust me. So, stick with what is working.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!