What's new

Does anyone sell a Moca 2.5 compliant adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NaweG

Occasional Visitor
Just finished moving most of my house from Powerline to MoCA to remove some issues related to having a smart meter (thanks lots power company) installed recently. The one system still on Powerline is on a different circuit and has been steady as a rock, while the MoCA is running equally steady if somewhat slower.

I didn't realize when I bought from Amazon (#!@$) that the adapters they were selling were MoCA 1.1 and was about to buy some MoCA 2.0 adapters (Actiontec in both cases) when a quick search revealed that a MoCA 2.5 standard was approved in April that is supposed to even be faster. Info at:
http://www.mocalliance.org/news/prM_160416_MoCA-approved-specification-MoCA-2-5

So, before I spend money on an older standard (again), just want to check and see if anyone offers MoCA 2.5 adapters yet - or if anyone is going to in the near future. Thanks in advance!

MoCA is primarily used by service providers. It has proved too difficult for consumers to deal with.

There are no MoCA 2.5 adapters available to consumers that I know of.

Given it is just as easy to install as Powerline, I'm surprised there hasn't been more adoption. Then again, I use my COAX only for Internet, and so folks trying to get traditional (ugh) cable over COAX as well could have a bit more difficulty I supposed.

Guess I'd better get the Actiontec 2.0 ones then.

Thanks!

MoCA is primarily used by service providers. It has proved too difficult for consumers to deal with.

MOCA, in the right environment, works very well - and as a layer 2, there's not much the end user has to worry about - the challenge with MOCA is that many homes have coax that might not be sufficient to carry the traffic efficiently...

Before I switched over to DirecTV, my cable provider did a sunset on ClearQAM/Analog services, and moved everything over to Switched Digital Video (SDV) - the existing Coax in the house, and this is a home built in 1978, and I'm the third owner, that cable worked fine for analog services, but couldn't support the frequencies or dynamic range requirements for the SDV boxes (and to be honest, the ClearQAM wasn't very good either) - which prompted me to do a fresh pull/redo of all the coax in the home - so bought a spool of RG59, a box of connectors, and the appropriate swaging tool to build the end-points... along with HDMI "approved" splitters, and over a weekend pulled new coax thru the house...

I probably should have gone with RG6 instead - consider that a lesson learned..

After the switch from Cable Co to DirecTV, the installer pulled new RG6 throughout the house, as RG59 wasn't to spec... their newer stuff is all MOCA for internet purposes once you come down from the dish - they use the MOCA for IPTV (OnDemand/PPV) as an IPTV solution to the STB and remote STB's and their Wireless Video Bridge. I could put in an ethernet drop for the main STB/DVR, or just use a MOCA injector and hang it off my switch - ended up using the injector (in DirecTV speak, it's a DECA)

The takeaway with MOCA is the quality of the existing Coax infrastructure in the home - some will be better than others... if it's good, it's really, really good - if not, and old stuff that is analog TV only, then it won't be so good...

This is probably why we see more HPAV over powerline - electrical code says that outlet's need to be spaced every so often, and rooms need to have X number of outlets (check local code), whereas Cable doesn't have that - so HPAV gets a bit of a win there with location flexibility...

There was a loooong wait between adoption of MoCA 2.0 and the availability of retail MoCA 2.0 products (2-3 years.) I wouldn't wait.

Any updates? I saw a couple mentions that there would be announcements at CES 2017 but that has obviously come and gone.

Or is it time to move back to Powerline?

It's unlikely you will see any more consumer MoCA products. The technology is pretty much limited to service providers at this point. You may be able to find gray market stuff on eBay.

It's unlikely you will see any more consumer MoCA products. The technology is pretty much limited to service providers at this point. You may be able to find gray market stuff on eBay.
This is sad to hear. Moca 2.5 really was opening up the doors as a substitute for even things such as LAGs.

In consumer/off the shelf - I would agree... HomePlug's are the bigger players - plug it in, get bandwidth...

MOCA is a vertical - good performance there, but it's really in the realm of the broadband ISP's these days...

Tha's good to see. B&H photo video usually carries their adapters, but I don't see this one yet so it may not be shipping. I even looked for the moca 2.0 'switch' ECB5240M but looks like that's not available either.

But it is definitely good to see more products for this technology.

They don't have it in their shop yet, and Amazon doesn't show it for sale either. However I am glad to know they are still developing these, and look forward to buying three when they are actually on sale. Do wish other folks were selling Moca 2.5 adapters as well since I suspect that the price for these will be "up there" given a lack of volume and competition. But considering how much better their 2.0 adapters work compared to WiFi (interference) and Powerline (different kind of interference), I most likely will buy anyway.

You know the one thing I'm wondering is if the Ethernet port on it will be only 1gb or also 2.5gb since that is a standard. If it's 2.5, it's literally a way to bridge two areas with 1.5x more bandwidth than regular 1gb wired Ethernet..

Actiontec's site says the 2.5 adapter is only available through select ISPs. I called them and they told me the same thing. The have no plans to sell it to the public.

Actiontec's site says the 2.5 adapter is only available through select ISPs. I called them and they told me the same thing. The have no plans to sell it to the public.
I guess we'll have to continue waiting until a competitor starts to sell MoCA 2.5 adapters to the general public. :(