1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Does asus only support Samba/SMB1? Is it possible to enable SMB2 or higher?

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by GoldenOne, Jul 28, 2018.

1. GoldenOne

GoldenOne New Around Here

So I recently bought a GT-AC5300, and so far I love everything about it. BUT, the one thing that im a little annoyed about it the lack of compatibility for network storage.

I was hoping to use it as a NAS, with a hard drive plugged in. I've got it set up with FTP and a software called "WebDrive" for now, which is working well.
    But only because I cannot get the Network Place/Samba share working.

I enable it, and in windows it tells me the device is using the outdated and insecure SMB1 protocol, and it needs to be SMB2 or higher. (SMB3 has been out since vista.....)

Is it not possible to enable a newer version of SMB on this router?

I see that the merlin firmware supports SMB2, but unfortunately merlin does not run on the GT-AC5300.

Would anyone be able to help?
    Thanks

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

you can activate SMB1 again in windows under features.

4. GoldenOne

GoldenOne New Around Here

Yes, but it was disabled for good reason due to the security risks involved and so I'd like to avoid that unless absolutely necessary

kfp likes this.
  5. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

for internal usage it is still quite safe to use (what I read here in the forum about it).

6. SSovets

SSovets Occasional Visitor

Normally SMB2 is possible on Asus routers with Merlin firmware, and I see there is a version of Merlin firmware for your router, so you can try it if you're comfortable with flashing custom FW on your devices.

7. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

No there isn't. Merlin only supports the RT-AC5300 not the GT-. They have different hardware.

kfp and HuskyHerder like this.
  8. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The stock firmware uses Samba 3.0.xx, which only supports SMB1. Asus would need to upgrade to 3.6 or newer to gain SMB2 support.

9. bbunge

bbunge Very Senior Member

Is there a chance that Asus will upgrade to use SMB2 in the near future? I have used the Merlin forks but would like to stick with the factory build.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

10. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Only they would know. I've seen them do some very limited Samba 3.6 work in the past, but they never went anywhere with what little work they did on it.

They could easily move to 3.6.25 just by merging my code in if they wanted to upgrade with a minimum amount of work. Up to them ultimately.

rckt likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!