What's new

Does DIR 825 support static routing on the LAN side?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

packetmangler

New Around Here
I have a SOHO that needs a couple of subnets.

Does the DIR 825 support static routes on the LAN?

I had a DIR 655 that had this feature until firmware 1.03, but I'm a little weary of running such an old firmware considering 802.11n is such a new technology.

What is the highest performance wireless router under $300 that has static internal routes?

Thanks.

Last edited:
i currently run the dir 655 w/ DHCP reservations on the 1.20 firmware to help maintain port forwards to certain ip's on the LAN, don't know if that helps.

FYI, i had nothing but troubles on the 1.21 firmware on A3 hardware, the router refused to refresh the WAN connection unless it was rebooted every couple of hours, seems to have gone away since i rolled back to 1.20.

Thanks for the reply, but that is not what I'm asking.

I have subnets (eg 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24, etc) that each have their own wireless client router.

I need to setup static routes from the gateway router (hopefully a DIR-825) that allows the different subnets to talk to each other.

I need to create static routes for each subnet, eg.

net 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.2
net 192.168.3.0 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.3

If it's not too late ...

...there is a solution for the DIR-655 althoug with newer firmware releases ... it's something like a hack... ... no it isn't ...

Have a look here:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=6422.0

As the Web Interface of both routers look similar, this may be a solution for 825 to... I'm using the 655 and it works great.

Would be nice to learn if it works...

dibu

cool, i hadn't seen that hack before. unfortunately, one of the posters says it doesn't work when port forwarding to the subnet. that's a deal killer for me, so i guess i'm stuck on 1.03 (which needs to be rebooted periodically, but is otherwise ok).

dlink sucks for removing this feature, especially since it appears to be strictly a u/i thing.

sorry, don't know anything about the 825.

dlink used to make a great product, but for the past few years the firmware upgrades have absolutely sucked.

I think port forwarding to the other subnet is somehow ....

I forward the port to the gateway for this subnet first and then take the next step from the gateway itself. I also think this is the "natural" way doing this.

In my configuration I have WD My Book World Edition (MBWE) with open VPN running. Access is routed and openVPN in a seperate subnet. I forward the openVPN port to the "home subnet address" of the MBWE - that's all. After activating the route on the 655 everything works fine. I can access the MBWE from outside via openVPN abd then my home subnet ... Of course I'm on the "external subnet" with my laptop when connecting from the outside.

dibu

we recently bought a DIR-825 and been very pleased with it, using it purely as a wifi access point (set WAN to static IP on random RFC1918 block far away from the office IPs and override the DNS etc)

I needed to set up static routes on the LAN and discovered that it wasn't possible; scouted the internet and found this forum and others.

I found the easiest way was to install the firebug extension and then I was able to right mouse on the interface, do "inspect element" and change the SELECT/OPTION html to LAN from WAN before saving.

When you view the routes page it still shows WAN but the routes over the LAN definitely work. If you edit the static routes you will need to re-do all the WAN-LAN edits.

We are on firmware 2.03NA

Paul

I bought a DIR-825 recently - it does support static routing options yes. In fact this router has a fantastically wide range of options and features.

However what it does not have is performance or reliability. I would not recommend the router at all. It was a buggy piece of garbage and I had to return it to the vendor one week after I bought it. How D-link could actually sell such a product I dont know, but I would not wish it on anyone. Dont be fooled by all the features, dual band, options etc. It is not a good router at all.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online