What's new

Does enabling 'Guest Networks' cause any performance hits or issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Charlie Mack

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

I was thinking of enabling the 'Guest Network' on my RT-AC68P. However, I wasn't sure if this would cause a performance hit on my non-guest network. It's just in my home, so not a lot of traffic. But I was thinking of also using the guest network to put IoT items, like my Ring, SmartThings, etc. I was reading it's a good way to keep them separated from the data on my network as they aren't always the most secure things.

I tried looking for articles on this, but found nothing but how-tos. :)

Thanks!

But I was thinking of also using the guest network to put IoT items, like my Ring, SmartThings, etc. I was reading it's a good way to keep them separated from the data on my network as they aren't always the most secure things.

I was looking into doing the same thing with my IoT devices, but haven't found many articles explaining the pros ands cons (or if it is pointless). I was looking into Synology's newest router that has AP isolation on the guest network that would prevent clients from interacting with each other. I figured since most IoT devices I have require an app to configure I wouldn't be able to control them with my phone anymore.

Since putting IoT devices on the guest network would cause a performance hit would anyone recommend the practice?

I would put any and all IoT devices on a guest or restricted network. Much better to take a negligible hit to performance than risk opening up my entire network.

Remember, the hit that happens depends on the number of SSID's. If you only have 1 additional SSID for the guest or restricted network, I think that is well worth the small hit to performance.

I currently have my AP set up where the primary SSID for the 2.4 and 5Ghz is the same SSID (let's call it "HomeWifi" for this discussion.)
Then I have two guest networks "HomeWifi2G" and HomeWifi5G" (both with full LAN privileges, not guest isolated.)
This allows clients to be set up to choose 2/5 at will, or attach a client to a dedicated 2.4 or 5.
I always wondered if this was "bad" to do, but so far I don't think I see a performance difference.
I sometimes set-up actual guest isolated guest SSIDs just for a single day if I have people over for a gathering then remove it at the end.

I currently have my AP set up where the primary SSID for the 2.4 and 5Ghz is the same SSID (let's call it "HomeWifi" for this discussion.)
Then I have two guest networks "HomeWifi2G" and HomeWifi5G" (both with full LAN privileges, not guest isolated.)
This allows clients to be set up to choose 2/5 at will, or attach a client to a dedicated 2.4 or 5.
I always wondered if this was "bad" to do, but so far I don't think I see a performance difference.
I sometimes set-up actual guest isolated guest SSIDs just for a single day if I have people over for a gathering then remove it at the end.
Just a follow-up to my own comment. I played around with disabling and re-enabling the guest SSID and as far as I can tell, there is no performance difference that I can detect.

I tend to do similar only different.
  • A "faster" (5 GHz) SSID for always close devices.
  • A "further" (2.4GHz) SSID for always distant devices.
  • An "either" (both bands) SSID for roaming devices.
  • A "guest" SSID (both bands) for guests (which is isolated from my privates).
According to LL&D's chart performance hit is well within reason.