What's new

Does hardware acceleration (CTF+FA) only affect high bandwidth connections?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Altabyte

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AC5300 and I only have 60 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. Let's say I want to use a feature that's not compatible with hardware acceleration, such as "IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)". Would disabling harware acceleration affect normal performance on my connection (or connections below 100 Mbps) or is it strictly a throughput limitation and doesn't affect performance (such as latency or jitter)?

So what I'm trying to find out is whether or not hardware acceleration only affects throughput or if it has an impact on other performance metrics such as latency and jitter?

CTF+FA won't and can't do anything to your ISP connection/line speed , that is negotiated by your modem.

CTF+FA is on your LAN /home network.

CTF+FA won't and can't do anything to your ISP connection/line speed , that is negotiated by your modem.

CTF+FA is on your LAN /home network.
Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

I agree with Colin. And to expand with an example, with my old 68U I would get the following LAN<>WAN speeds with the associated cpu usage.
CTF+FA - 940 Mpbs ~5% cpu usage
CTF - 940 Mpbs ~100% cpu usage
No NAT Acceleration - 350 Mpbs ~100% cpu usage

One way that you could possibly determine the effect of NAT acceleration is to run a series of ping test with and without it and compare the results. DSLReports has a nice tool that might assist you in your testing.
https://www.dslreports.com/tools/pingtest

I think what @AndreiV was trying to say is that CTF doesn’t affect data coming to and from the ISP (such as increase latency or jitter), and only determines LAN throuput. Maybe he could further clarify, but I’m pretty sure he understands that LAN is connected to the WAN, but was just trying to make a point.

Maybe I’m wrong and misunderstood him, and further tests need to be made. I’ll have to try some ping tests. Thanks for the idea, I didn’t think of that.