What's new

Does Netgear Poweline 500 Nano Support vlan Trunking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I have been thinking about building a sub network using vlans in my network to isolate my wireless traffic. I have an RV180 and 2 RV4000s. I am just going to use the vlan switch part in the RV4000s. I need to go through a Netgear Powerline 500 Nano for my WAP4410N wireless device. If I turn vlan tagging on in the Netgear Powerline 500 Nano can I trunk through the Netgear Powerline 500 Nano?

I just thought of another thing I miss that the big Cisco routers have. I miss being able to assign multiple networks to one interface. It makes it very easy to run multiple networks on the same switch just like running multiple vlans only you don’t have to run vlans or have vlan switches.

I want to segment my wireless from my wired traffic. I had it working for a while with a real Cisco 2621 router. I then added a wired Apple TV on the other side of a power plug. To add the wired Apple TV I also had to add an old Netgear 5 port switch, so I was thinking I could just replace the Netgear switch with a Cisco RV4000 used as a switch and trunk the wireless and the Apple TV back to the RV180 router. I have to cross a power plug on the way back so I need vlan trunking support through the Netgear Powerline 500 Nano.
You know if I could just add a second IP address to the interface on the router like a big Cisco router then I would not even need to create vlans. I would just add the second IP address and be done.

some consumer WiFi routers have a guest SSID that can be set to route to the Internet only.

else you could add a second consumer router whose WAN port is a static IP in the main subnet, and that router's LAN side is a different subnet.

But NATing like this, and port forwarding, and port triggering, often doesn't work with consumer stuff.