What's new

does NTP not work with WDS on Johns Fork?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Make WiFi Great Again

Regular Contributor
I have an ac68U running as main router with a few more 68u's acting as nodes using WDS. All are on Johns Fork 47D5 and for the life of me I cannot get NTP to work on the nodes. I have tried using us.pool.ntp.org on the nodes as that is what I have set on the main one connected to the internet. I have also tried entering in nthe main routers ip address, as well as it's other name 43B8.lan and nothing works. I have the main router acting as a NTP server using the toggle in admin settings. Ideally I would like the nodes to get their time from the main router but I wold gladly accept them getting their time from an internet server if that was needed. According to syslog the WDS nodes think they are all offline. I am guessing that in WDS mode for some reason NTP wont bother to look for a server on any link other then the wan port is this correct? I have an old netgear router uhm WGR614-V9 that behaves like this. It would only ever set its time if the WAN port was connected to internet. If I used the old netgear as a switch it would never set the time no matter what. I am guessing the situation remains the same for Johns Fork yes?. If this is the case, is there a way around this? I would very much like to have NTP working on all the 68u's.

I think you are the first user to ever post using WDS. :)

You are correct, the ntp client won't normally start without a WAN connenction. But I did do a change recently for router-mode not connected to the WAN that may help.

First, ssh to the nodes and issue the following

nvram set ntp_force=1
nvram commit

Then edit a new script,
/jffs/scripts/lan-start
with the following

#!/bin/sh
service restart_ntpc

save and make executable.

Then reboot the nodes and keep your fingers crossed.

it worked! hurrah it worked! you the man! just for ships and gaggles i am going to try this on the old WGR614-V9 which is a single stream wireless G wouter. pretty old but it uses broadcom and i have hacked it to enable telnet so i can play with the nvram and overclocking. be interesting to see if i can get it to work too. not that it matters. I dont think it needs to know the date. its more of a curiosity hobby type thing for me. And if it works it will be a point of pride as well.

ah it didnt work on the WGR614-V9 but thats ok It doesnt need it or even matter. I only use it as a seldom used wireless g print server to keep the 2 wireless g devices i have off the main routers so it dodesnt even need the correct date and time.

Last edited:
yup you are correct. see previous edit. thank you for the help though. and for including this fix in the next release. that makes me happy to know i helped fix a small bug. even if its something nobody ever uses lmao.

btw i put the fix into /scripts/post-mount. reason is that i already use post mount for other things so i figured i might as well use it for this rather then creating another file. apples and oranges with the same result. john you da man.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!