What's new

Does SmartConnect really work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brad H

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have the ROG AC5300 and two RT-AC68U running AiMesh. The AC5300 is at one end of the house, one AC-68U in the center & the other AC-68U at the other end of the house. About 25 devices and overall, I'm happy. I am running pretty much stock settings. One device is a Roku & it wants to switch between 5 & 2.4 Mhz quite often and because it is video streaming, it takes the video offline for about 10 seconds. As a quick fix, I set up a 2.4 Mhz guest network and put the Roku on that. So far, so good. I guess what I can't understand is why it is switching bands when it has a strong signal. Is going the guest network & locking it onto a 2.4 network the best way to go, should I try adjusting the SmartConnect rules or is it best to break the bands out & forget about SmartConnect altogether?

Thanks for any advice

Hi,
I have the ROG AC5300 and two RT-AC68U running AiMesh. The AC5300 is at one end of the house, one AC-68U in the center & the other AC-68U at the other end of the house. About 25 devices and overall, I'm happy. I am running pretty much stock settings. One device is a Roku & it wants to switch between 5 & 2.4 Mhz quite often and because it is video streaming, it takes the video offline for about 10 seconds. As a quick fix, I set up a 2.4 Mhz guest network and put the Roku on that. So far, so good. I guess what I can't understand is why it is switching bands when it has a strong signal. Is going the guest network & locking it onto a 2.4 network the best way to go, should I try adjusting the SmartConnect rules or is it best to break the bands out & forget about SmartConnect altogether?

Thanks for any advice

Smart Connect is not supported on AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1. So, use separate SSIDs for each band. I recommend fixed channels, too.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!