What's new

Does SNB-forums prefer new threads? or jump on other threads that are close?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan-H

Regular Contributor
Perhaps an example might help.

I'm helping a friend and giving advice on pre-wiring before sheetrock goes up for new construction.

I found a thread or two that are close to the topic and current enough to be relevant.

Does this forum prefer a new topic with the specifics, even though some might be answered in other threads, or does this forum prefer adding on to an existing thread with slightly different questions?

i'll be candid, I haven't spent enough time here to get the vibe of the forum, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

tnx

Dan

Should always do a search first - as you have noted - there is a wealth of community knowledge that has been built up here on the snbforums...

Do not be afraid to dig up old threads - but do a search first... many things have been asked and answered many times over...

It depends.

In my opinion, threads with hundreds of posts spanning many months covering a mix of questions aren't helpful. Start a new thread.

If the thread is recent, with the last post within a few weeks AND the question / response is DIRECTLY related to the thread topic, it's ok to add on.

I don't like to see threads with many topics mixed, caused by people just adding their question to a thread with an overly broad title. It leads to the hundreds of posts thread problem above.

Make thread titles as specific as possible. This helps limit the add-on problem and also makes for easier searching.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!