What's new

Does the WRT firmware has Memory Leak?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

I have noticed that the used RAM always increase, it never goes back or get some kind of cleanup, router is the RT-AX86U, does this means a weekly/monthly reboot is recommended? Thanks

1658156244227.png

Thank you, I didn't know that a garage collection/clean process run that close to the 100% memory utilization

You did not say which firmware version you are using. RT-AX86U : 3.0.0.4.386_49599-g8352df7 firmware is easier on RAM than the prior version. My router is holding at about 67%. However, if you are using a USB device to store files Samba may run the RAM usage up to cache data transfer. But the RAM is to be used and even at 97% your router will not crash.

Thanks. I was seeing similar on my new GS-AX3000 and was worried. I have USB drive and about 30 devices connected.

Clipboard01.jpg

I then ran the "free" command in the shell and saw this includes cache and buffers. I presume that at least the cache can be freed and re-deployed if needed. But I am no expert.

Thanks. I was seeing similar on my new GS-AX3000 and was worried. I have USB drive and about 30 devices connected.

View attachment 42912

I then ran the "free" command in the shell and saw this includes cache and buffers. I presume that at least the cache can be freed and re-deployed if needed. But I am no expert.
How do you get access to the Shell?

How do you get access to the Shell?
On my new GS-AX3000 with stock firmware it couldn't be easier. You can use telnet or ssh. They can easily be enabled under Administration->System in the stock UI of my model. This was a major factor in my choosing to buy Asus this time. Just be sure to not make this available over the WAN unless you really know what you are doing.

Last edited:
If you know what you are doing, you would never make it available over the WAN.

I have USB drive and about 30 devices connected.

In your case RAM is used for disk read/write buffers. When Samba is not in use, the same RAM will be used for something else, if requested. Just don’t push the router too much with large file transfers. It’s a router, not a NAS.

On my new GS-AX3000 with stock firmware it couldn't be easier. You can use telnet or ssh. They can easily be enabled under Administration->System in the stock UI of my model. This was a major factor in my choosing to buy Asus this time. Just be sure to not make this available over the WAN unless you really know what you are doing.
I have completely forgotten about SSH, I had the RT-5300 3 years ago, before I moved to a different brand, I am glad I am back with Asus.

In your case RAM is used for disk read/write buffers. When Samba is not in use, the same RAM will be used for something else, if requested. Just don’t push the router too much with large file transfers. It’s a router, not a NAS.
Thanks. Good to hear this. I really use the USB thumb drive infrequently. However, I am REALLY glad to have the USB ability as it has allowed me to install Entware on the stock firmware - which otherwise would happen only on Merlin, I guess. I really needed a tcpdump binary. It wasn't pre-installed as on my old Netgear. But once I got Entware installed, getting the tcpdump package on there was a piece of cake. Cheers!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!