What's new

Does Wi-Fi MultiMedia (WMM) Really Do Anything?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgraves

Regular Contributor
This is very interesting. My first exposure to WMM was a year ago when undertaking the review of the Polycom/SpectraLink 8002 Wifi SIP handset (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30498/80/)

My old Wifi AP (Linksys WAP-54G) was adequate to make/receive calls while there was little else using the WLAN. If I started up Outlook on a laptop logged into Exchange via PPTP VPN the traffic it generated by checking mail and synchronizing folders would cause calls to break-up.

When I changed to a Netgear WRT-2000 router (used just as an AP) capable of WMM the problem disappeared.

Michael

It may be covered in part two or not. In order to implement QOS the hardware has to have the ability to store a queue of packets, and then be able to transmit them in a different order than received. This is obviously more complex than a simple no buffering transmit as you receive.

The part of WMM that is really important to me is power saving with my wifi enabled cell phone which allows me to make and receive cell phone calls over wifi. (Under the hood the data packets that would go over the cellular network are wrapped up and sent over wifi. It works very well.)

The power saving part of WMM comes in because it allows the phone to turn off its radio while the access point queues any packets for the phone. The phone can then briefly turn the radio on once every second or two to ask if the access point has anything for it and then power back off. This saves a considerable amount of power versus having the radio on all the time. I get slightly better battery life than using the cellular network! With a previous access point that didn't have WMM, the cell phone battery would be almost dead after about 6 hours.

Thanks for the comments, Roger. I'm only focusing on the QoS aspects of WMM in this series, not WMM Power Save, which is a separate Wi-Fi Certification.

well i always have problems with watching streaming sports game on my laptop
on my desktop it works perfect doesn't buffer and the quality also looks better than my laptop. I always wondered what the problem is but i never actually found my answer. i have used many different routers from linksys to d-link and right now i am with verizon fios so i have the actiontec router i think that the problem is that the wireless routers have some problem with streaming video's.

I don't maybe it might be this WMM that could change my world around and i would finally be able to connect my laptop to my HDTV and watch my favorite sports on tv that i don't get here USA.

WMM and rebuffering problems with Roku Soundbridge

I own several Roku Soundbridge players that I use to stream WMA lossless music files from a Windows Home Server. I have had re-buffering problems that would appear regularly and completely ruin the listening experience.

I have a DIR-655 A4 with 1.21 firmware and I don't believe that there is a better router on the market today at this price point.

I believe that I have solved the re-buffering issue by disabling the WMM feature on the DIR-655. I believe that it may have been de-prioritizing my music streams and limiting the bandwidth, causing the re-buffering.

I hope this helps other Roku users who are experiencing the same issue.

Regards,

Pete

That makes me wonder of WMM is acting in a UDP specific fashion. Would a WMM implementation prioritize UDP streams like voice over a TCP stream?

Would a WMM implementation prioritize UDP streams like voice over a TCP stream?
No. WMM is protocol agnostic and only processes DSCP and 802.1p priority information in the stream.

Remember that the DIR-655 and other D-Link products use Ubicom auto-QoS technology, including its WISH wireless form. There could have been some interaction between WMM and WISH.

It would also be interesting if the same effect were seen by disabling WMM in the Soundbridge.

Media Center and WMM

Hi Tim,

Thanks - interesting article. I work for the Media Center team at Microsoft and must clarify an important point -

1. A PC running Windows Vista Media Center SKU (Home Premium/Ultimate) doesnt become a Media Center server for all client end points. specifically - when you stream video from a Media Center PC to another client PC using Windows Media Player -this uses WMP technology (and whether the source PC is a Media Center PC or not doesn't matter).

2. However if you stream a video (limited to some codecs, TV content or WMV for example) from Media Center to Media Center Extender such as Xbox 360 - media is streamed over RTP/UDP and the 802.1p tags are set correctly to take advantage of WMM/QoS prioritization.

Great point about the lack of awareness amongst media server applications setting the QoS prioritization tags incorrectly.

Highly recommend you to get hold of a Xbox 360 and use it as a Media Center Extender in your experiments.

Thx,
Sidd

Note: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Hi, saw this article and would like to do similar testing but I have some query.

How exactly did you setup those streamings in chariot? U use RTP for video stream and TCP to act as other traffic? Did you setup any QoS in chariot (e.g. IP TOS)?

Hi, yes I have read that article. But I only have IP TOS, GQoS and Diffserv templates in my chariot.

On the window XP part, I have create and edit the registry and did nothing in another Vista laptop ( packet scheduler checked).

For the router (Ad Hoc mode), I have enabled WMM and keep the default configuration.

But when I run the chariot with IP TOS, there was an error saying my vista laptop doesnt support the IPTOS. Does that mean that only computers of the same version can work together?

Somehow I think my setup is wrong somewhere. I need help as I am beginner in this.

Vista handles QoS very differently and I used all XP machines. So sorry that I can't help further.

Alex

Vista handles QoS very differently and I used all XP machines. So sorry that I can't help further.
Hi Tim,
About the (3) the source application supports WMM. [emphasis mine], do you mean WMM will take effect only with the source application supports WMM? Is that means common applications such as Skype, MSN, VLC, FTP...etc. will not trigger WMM to take effect, right? Do you know which source application can support WMM? Please advise. Thanks.

Hi Tim,
About the (3) the source application supports WMM. [emphasis mine], do you mean WMM will take effect only with the source application supports WMM? Is that means common applications such as Skype, MSN, VLC, FTP...etc. will not trigger WMM to take effect, right? Do you know which source application can support WMM? Please advise. Thanks.
That's correct. The source app has to add the proper WMM tagging.

Getting information about the applications that support WMM tagging is very difficult.

Using WMM to ensure Video QoS

Hello Tim,

We have been experimenting with the IEEE 802.11e/WMM mechanism for the last 4 years or so, specifically to support QoS provisioning for real-time services such as VoIP and video streaming.
I have recently come across your article on your experiences with WMM and have followed with interest the subsequent threads.

Perhaps, I could share our experiences in this field with you.

Firstly, the IEEE 802.11e/WMM mechanism is only a QoS enabling mechanism. It will not in itself deliver QoS, you have to build a bandwidth/QoS management system around it. So, simply switching on the feature will not have any effect.
Secondly, there are two main problems with using WMM to prioritise traffic, namely tagging the traffic to make sure that it gets put into the correct queue (i.e. Access Category) and then appropriately setting the EDCA parameters (i.e. AIFSN, ECWmin, ECWmax) to ensure that the queue enjoys the prioritised access to the medium.

Tagging the traffic is a real problem, since most applications will not allow you do this. For this reason, we tend to use open source applications where we can modify the code to do this. Next the QAP needs to be configured so that when the tagged packet arrives into the QAP, it gets put into the correct queue. We have using enterprise APs, e.g. the Cisco 1200 and 1400 series, where there are extension configuration menus to do this.

Deciding what EDCA values to use is probably the biggest problem with the WMM mechanism because there are too many to them and furthermore the mechanism by which they determine the performance is too complex (and in reality poorly understood). Most implementations/reports seem to rely on static default values and which usually yields poor results. The reason for this relates to the contention based access method where users must compete for access - in other words users have to fight for bandwidth. This makes bandwidth/QoS provisioning extemely challenging. In fact, the two biggest problems with WLANs are the inability to provision bandwidth and guarantee QoS. Because, users must compete for bandwidth, the capacity of a WLAN network is not fixed and furthermore different users will experience different capacities depending on the traffic that they are transmitting and on the traffic that their neighbours/competitors are transmitting.
The IEEE 802.11e/WMM was introduced as an attempt to address by allowing for a prioritization in terms of access whereby high priority users could win more transmission opportunities and hence enjoy a greater share of the bandwidth. However, given that the available bandwidth, i.e. capacity, is not fixed prioritising the access will not guarantee bandwidth.

Instead the solution is to adaptively adjust the EDCA parameters in response to the changing network traffic conditions in order to ensure that all Access Categories (ACs) or queues experience the bandwidth they require. In other words, you need to build a bandwidth/QoS management system around the WMM mechanism.

We have developed a WLAN radio resource controller (WRRC) that adaptively tunes the EDCA parameters in to deliver the specified bandwidth to each of the four ACs supported under 802.11e/WMM. You can read more about the details of our research at http://www.cnri.dit.ie/research.wlan.html where you can also download a demo of the system.

I hope that you find the above useful, it has taken us a number of years to get to grips with WMM and what it can offer. However, we have been successfully using it (in conjunction with our WRRC) to deliver VoIP and video applications over 802.11e/WMM enabled WLAN. Basically, WMM is only a QoS enabling mechanism, you need to build a system around it.

Regards

Mark Davis

Thanks for the information Mark. Looks like you folks have done a lot of work!

Hi Tim,

Would it be possible to share the IxChariot template you mentioned in your WMM article?

Thanks,
Frank

Using WMM to ensure Video QoS

Hello Tim,

We have been experimenting with the IEEE 802.11e/WMM mechanism for the last 4 years or so, specifically to support QoS provisioning for real-time services such as VoIP and video streaming.
I have recently come across your article on your experiences with WMM and have followed with interest the subsequent threads.

Perhaps, I could share our experiences in this field with you.

Firstly, the IEEE 802.11e/WMM mechanism is only a QoS enabling mechanism. It will not in itself deliver QoS, you have to build a bandwidth/QoS management system around it. So, simply switching on the feature will not have any effect.
Secondly, there are two main problems with using WMM to prioritise traffic, namely tagging the traffic to make sure that it gets put into the correct queue (i.e. Access Category) and then appropriately setting the EDCA parameters (i.e. AIFSN, ECWmin, ECWmax) to ensure that the queue enjoys the prioritised access to the medium.

Tagging the traffic is a real problem, since most applications will not allow you do this. For this reason, we tend to use open source applications where we can modify the code to do this. Next the QAP needs to be configured so that when the tagged packet arrives into the QAP, it gets put into the correct queue. We have using enterprise APs, e.g. the Cisco 1200 and 1400 series, where there are extension configuration menus to do this.

Deciding what EDCA values to use is probably the biggest problem with the WMM mechanism because there are too many to them and furthermore the mechanism by which they determine the performance is too complex (and in reality poorly understood). Most implementations/reports seem to rely on static default values and which usually yields poor results. The reason for this relates to the contention based access method where users must compete for access - in other words users have to fight for bandwidth. This makes bandwidth/QoS provisioning extemely challenging. In fact, the two biggest problems with WLANs are the inability to provision bandwidth and guarantee QoS. Because, users must compete for bandwidth, the capacity of a WLAN network is not fixed and furthermore different users will experience different capacities depending on the traffic that they are transmitting and on the traffic that their neighbours/competitors are transmitting.
The IEEE 802.11e/WMM was introduced as an attempt to address by allowing for a prioritization in terms of access whereby high priority users could win more transmission opportunities and hence enjoy a greater share of the bandwidth. However, given that the available bandwidth, i.e. capacity, is not fixed prioritising the access will not guarantee bandwidth.

Instead the solution is to adaptively adjust the EDCA parameters in response to the changing network traffic conditions in order to ensure that all Access Categories (ACs) or queues experience the bandwidth they require. In other words, you need to build a bandwidth/QoS management system around the WMM mechanism.

We have developed a WLAN radio resource controller (WRRC) that adaptively tunes the EDCA parameters in to deliver the specified bandwidth to each of the four ACs supported under 802.11e/WMM. You can read more about the details of our research at http://www.cnri.dit.ie/research.wlan.html where you can also download a demo of the system.

I hope that you find the above useful, it has taken us a number of years to get to grips with WMM and what it can offer. However, we have been successfully using it (in conjunction with our WRRC) to deliver VoIP and video applications over 802.11e/WMM enabled WLAN. Basically, WMM is only a QoS enabling mechanism, you need to build a system around it.

Regards

Mark Davis

Apologies, I know this is quite old, I was wondering how your work differed to Meru's Airtime Fairness manipulation of the random backoff timers (using the WMM extensions)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!