What's new

Don't understand 2.5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ShawnTRD

Regular Contributor
Can I run my desktop off the 2.5G Port?
I got the RT-AX86U and I don't completely understand the 2.5G port. I have 150 Mbps Download, 15 Mbps Upload internet. Wired to the the router is:

1) Desktop
2) VOIP phone
3) Western Digital My Cloud 4TB Drive
4) Synology DS1520+ NAS (still learning about it)

Now the Synology NAS has 4 - 1GbE LAN Port that I can use on a switch with Link Aggregation. Looks like my router with do Link Aggregation. So I don't know that I would need more than the 1GbE as my desktop only has Gigabit LAN. The NAS will be for backing up a couple personal laptops a couple phones all Wifi6 and running Plex off NVIDIA Shield.

Yes. In the Asus router settings you can set the 2.5GbE port as either a LAN or WAN port. It will work with other 2.5GbE ports and it should be backward compatible with devices using 1Gbps Ethernet ports. So set it up as you like and use it like a regular Ethernet port.

I have my Synology NAS connected to the 2.5 GB port even though the NAS has a 1GB NIC.
Make sure you update the My Cloud firmware per the WD warning.

I have my Synology NAS connected to the 2.5 GB port even though the NAS has a 1GB NIC.
Make sure you update the My Cloud firmware per the WD warning.

Yeah I've had the My Cloud 5 installed for a long time now. I double checked the firmware just to make sure and I'm all good. I hope to setup the My Cloud at my parents to be a offsite backup.

Do I need to change anything in the ASUS firmware to use the 2.5G port?

Do I need to change anything in the ASUS firmware to use the 2.5G port?
For use as a LAN port just plug it in. For use as a WAN connection there is a setting. I just went through a similar exercise recently and my desktop PC is now running at 2.5GHz. Note that when viewing the router status the 2.5G port shows as LAN5 and the current speed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-25 062433.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-25 062433.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 101

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!