What's new

Tutorial [ DoT Study ] ######MBM DoT Study#######

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Part of the Furniture
I want to first of all thank my Loyal followings of #Nobody.

Here is another @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow thread-cast
#my-first-one-ever
List of things needed.
  • Asuswrt-Merlin(384.12 and up preferred) or with DoT entware setup
  • putty (SSH client)
  • entware
  • tcp-dump
  • wireshark

Okay so this is a guide for doing tcp-dump studies of DoT with wireshark. To start off you will need both of them.

wireshark can be obtained for your favorite OS of choice at (windows or mac it appears)
https://www.wireshark.org/#download

First you must enable SSH option on the router under Administrations tab, which you can then access using your routers default IP via SSH client on a computer.

You must have entware installed for your tcp-dump dreams to occur you can use
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-the-snbforum-asuswrt-merlin-terminal-menu.42415/
to obtain a copy of AMTM brought to us by @thelonelycoder , who has made it easy to install entware.

After installing entware,

You can then install tcp-dump via copy-paste commands into SSH client

Code:
opkg install tcp-dump

Next a script of sorts needs to be made, copy and paste
nano /jffs/scripts/DoTStudy.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

HHMM=$(date +"%H%M")

tcpdump -G 59 -W 1 -s 0 -ni eth0 -p port 853 -w /tmp/mnt/"ChangeToYourlocation"/a${HHMM}.pcap 2> /dev/null

You will need to modify the /tmp/mnt/"ChangeToYourlocation"/ to something that you would like to use for storage it can be any location that is persistent and has reasonable storage space.

ctrl+x and y + enter to save

for executable status

chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/DoTStudy.sh

For minute by minute DoT-Study, next cru a DoT-Study that can be added to services-start script within jffs for persistent use or can be ran manually via command line (only good for one reboot).
cru a DoT-Study "*/1 * * * * /jffs/scripts/DoTStudy.sh"

This will now minute by minute create pcap files to your location of choice (/tmp/mnt/"ChangeToYourLocation" can be any where persistent and reasonable in size), which can be examined by wireshark.

Credits Go Out to
@Martineau (provided the idea in a previous thread from along time ago....)
@RMerlin (provided platform for everything to thrive on..)
@thelonelycoder (provided AMTM to make our lives easier..)
@anyone-else-I-did-not-mention

Last edited:
upload_2019-7-23_9-52-18.png

these are some of the type of things you would expect to see. it gives you a better understanding and appreciation of what is going on.