What's new

Download Master won't stop uploading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobloblaw

Occasional Visitor
Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me with a bit of an issue I've been having recently.

I just checked my network usage stats with my ISP and I have uploaded about 20GB in the past two days. I checked the traffic monitor in the Asus admin area and I could see that I was transmitting data but I had no programs on my laptop accessing the internet that heavily. I noticed this traffic stops when I disable download master but there are no existing tasks when I go to the download master control panel, nothing downloading or uploading.

Is it possible there is a hung torrent that just won't quit and it somehow not visible from the control panel? I have tried to reflash my firmware (Merlin's latest) to stock then back to Merlin, nothing changed. I tried the download master upgrade but it still transmits every time I re-enable it.

Any ideas how I could be sure that all torrents are cleared or any other ideas are greatly welcome.

Thanks,

Your traffic probably comes from the aMule service. Change the aMule server to point to itself (127.0.0.1) to at least limit it.

Quite honestly, Asus needs to implement an option to disable aMule, and by default aMule should be disabled. A lot of people accidentally end up sharing files over aMule, causing lots of traffic - some of which on metered connections.

Hi Merlin, thanks for the tip.

I changed the amule service to connect to localhost like you advised, i disconnected and reconnected etc but I am still seeing traffic when download master is enabled. It seems to rise steadily starting at nothing each time it is re-enabled.

At the moment I have no torrents active, amule service is disconnected but pointing to localhost and nothing configured in the nzb tab.

Connect to your router over telnet, then locate the name of the amule process (I forgot what it is - possibly dm2_amule):

Once you found it, look at the PID number next to it (there might be more than one), and kill those amule processes:

kill the_pid_you_noted

See if your traffic is back to normal. If it is, then it confirms that the problem is aMule. Let me know, and I'll guide you on how to disable it completely in its startup script.

Thanks Merlin, I just got in from work and am trying to connect to the router with telnet. i am getting an error 'could not connect to host, on port 23: connection failed. Not sure if I have to enable telnet on the router first?

I am using stock 3.0.0.4.246 firmware

Merlin, you were absolutely right!

I reflashed your latest firmware in order to get to Tools>Run CMD, i ran the commands above and stopped the amule process ID with the lowest number (there are quite a few, in my case PID 1205)the uploading went back to normal instantly.

If you could help me stop amule from starting up all together that would be great. Hopefully this will stop anyone else getting a nasty surprise on their next bill from their isp.

You will need to modify the following file:

/opt/asusware/etc/init.d/S50downloadmaster

Edit it, and search for this line:

./dm2_amuled -c /opt/etc/dm2_amule/&

Remove that line - it's what starts amule. Then reboot your router.

If you are not familiar with vi, copy that file to your USB disk, edit it from your PC, then copy it back in place. For example:

cp /opt/asusware/etc/init.d/S50downloadmaster /mnt/sda1/Download2/

then once you have edited it, put it back:

cp /mnt/sda1/S50downloadmaster /opt/asusware/etc/init.d/

Note that this file will be overwritten whenever you update Download Master to a new version, so you might want to keep a copy of it at hand.

I'm not sure if I tried this the correct way but I copied the following line into the Run CMD tab in your firmware

cp /opt/asusware/etc/init.d/S50downloadmaster /mnt/sda1/Download2/

and got

cp: can't stat '/opt/asusware/etc/init.d/S50downloadmaster': No such file or directory

Now I'm just wondering if I would have root access but default

Enable Telnet on the System -> Administration page, then use a program like Putty to connect over telnet. It will be easier then to troubleshoot path issues.

Thanks, I have found the file in the following directory using putty

/tmp/mnt/share/asusware/etc/init.d/S50downloadmaster

just attempting to copy it to the Download2 directory at the moment

Strange thing, now i can't access download master or add torrents, it is asking me for the changed port in the Download master utility and can't access it in the browser. When I edited the S50downloadmaster file there were 3 instances of:

./dm2_amuled -c /opt/etc/dm2_amule/&

I deleted all three, went back to the USB disk menu and it show downloadmaster as uninstalled. I reinstalled it and now when i click the link I get the following page in Chrome

could not connect to 192.168.1.1:8081

On the upside, the transmitted data is now close to 0!:rolleyes:

Seems to be in a loop. When i copy the edited S50downloadmaster file to the correct directory, it then asks me to install download master in the usb disk page. Then when i reinstall it, I have to copy the new edited file.

After modifying this script, try rebooting your router before accessing the webui. See if after the reboot it properly detects DOwnload Master as being installed.

Hi Merlin, no luck on this yet.

I copied the edited S50downloadmaster file, rebooted and it is still asking me to install download master. Every time it gets reinstalled, the amule service starts back up.

edit*
to be more precise. When I reboot the modem after copying the edited file, I can't access download master

Chrome could not connect to 192.168.1.1:8081

I can fix this by uninstalling and reinstalling it but then we have the same problem again.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this, I flashed the new stock 3.0.0.4.260 firmware and now I am not having the issue with amule.

I will have to keep an eye on it for a while but for the moment it seems to be fixed

This issue just reoccurred worse than before. 40 GB uploaded in one day.

Is there a way to remove amule completely?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!