What's new

Download speed same on AC as N Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kdflyer

New Around Here
I have a strange situation I would appreciate your advice on. I have an older apple airport extreme N router (the flat square one) and using my IPhone 6SPlus with the speedtest app (Ookla) I regularly get a download speed of 80 or 81 mbps and upload seed o f12 to 12.20 mbps. I subscribe to the faster internet speed from Xfinity (Blast-up to 75mbps). I thought that I might receive faster signal if I upgraded to a new AC wireless router. I tried a newer router and I am receiving the same speeds that I did with the N router. Am I doing something wrong? I spend a hour on the phone with tech support from the new router and we made a lot of changes, retested and kept getting the same results. I was hopeful that I would see an increase in download speed with the newer AC wireless router.

No change in your router is going to give you more speed from Comcast than you are paying for.

To see if the new router has greater bandwidth or faster you need to run a LAN speed test on your LAN to see what improvement you get and compare the N, AC and ideally compare this to what speed you get on a wired connection.

With the change in routers and assuming you are connecting on 5 GHz, you're going from a 2x2 N connection (450 Mbps max link rate) to 2x2 AC connection (867 Mbps max link rate).

Either one is capable of supporting the speeds you report.

With the change in routers and assuming you are connecting on 5 GHz, you're going from a 2x2 N connection (450 Mbps max link rate) to 2x2 AC connection (867 Mbps max link rate).

Either one is capable of supporting the speeds you report.
So there is really no benefit upgrading from an N router to the new AC?

No change in your router is going to give you more speed from Comcast than you are paying for.

To see if the new router has greater bandwidth or faster you need to run a LAN speed test on your LAN to see what improvement you get and compare the N, AC and ideally compare this to what speed you get on a wired connection.
I don't think I can do that with a Macbook Air. I don't have the ability to connect that cable to the computer.

So there is really no benefit upgrading from an N router to the new AC?
Apparently not for internet download.

But you should get higher LAN-based transfers and possibly increased range.

Apparently not for internet download.

But you should get higher LAN-based transfers and possibly increased range.
Thank you! I appreciate you helping me with this issue. Over the last two weeks I have spent hours going through this site, this is the only credible place I have found for information on Wireless systems.

Depending on your configuration there may be older equipment in the network slowing down your wireless network. You need to have your bands isolated by device type and then retest. If you need more details about to how setup an AC only band, and an N only band, let me know. If you bands are mixed, they will default to the bandwidth of the device with the lowest speed, and you will get N speeds on an AC connection. Please see the video for more details.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!