What's new

Download speed slower on windows mapped netw. drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alexxfloo

New Around Here
Hi,
My setup is the following. Using a DS218+ with 2 Hdds in RAID 1. All connections are by cable 1000mbps.
1st test: Download using the map netwrk drive in windows 10. I added the drive in my explorer. Speed: 45-48MB/s.
2nd test: Download by using chrome browser, logging in and using File Station. Speed: 105-110MB/s.
Why is the speed more than double using chrome?

figure out the transfer protocols used for each and the type of transfer. SMB can slow things down. Many small files can slow things down. Take a look on this website review tool to see the various types of transfers (NASPT for one) an look at the differing results for each type of test condition.
If you want to figure out the raw bandwidth for the transfers on your LAN, run iperf on the NAS and a PC. Use multiple streams. Test in both directions. Try direct connect as well as across your LAN.

It's not double using Chrome. It's double because you're using the NAS' GUI to move files with. Specifically, File Station.

You should see the same results using any other modern browser too. When the NAS is in control of the file transfers, it is working as efficiently as it can.