What's new

pixelserv Downloaded certificate and broke internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daniel LaRusso

Occasional Visitor
I’ve made a horrible noob mistake I’m afraid. I’ve downloaded my CA cert and added to my Mac OS keychain, and now I’m afraid something went horribly wrong. My internet does not seem to be working and I can’t log into anything. My Asus router doesn’t show anything from AMTM, nor is my VPN able to connect. I’ve revoked the trust of the cert from my keychain and deleted it from the keychain, but everything is still down. Any help would be appreciated. In writing this from my mobile.

Well... hm. Sorry about that!

Internet is down for all machines on your network? What VPN are you talking about? Client or server?

Can you ping the router?
Can you ping google?
Are you able to SSH into the router?

Well... hm. Sorry about that!

Internet is down for all machines on your network? What VPN are you talking about? Client or server?

Can you ping the router?
Can you ping google?
Are you able to SSH into the router?

yes, I deleted the pixelserv certificate as it wasn’t working after I uploaded it to my Mac keychain. It’s been broken since then.

I reset my Asus router and reinstalled Merlin and I’m trying to upload the open VPN client (express vpn), but it just gives me an error after I upload it and the ovpn client file disappears. Any suggestions? Do I need to do a clean install of my Mac?? Does this have something to do with the cert?

no ping, it says, “bad address’www.Google.com’

I can’t ssh.

OK so you can access the router GUI via browser. On the main screen, at the top, what does it say for your "Internet Status?"

If you're "disconnected" or "offline," try power-cycling the modem, followed by the router about 60 seconds later.

Also - in the GUI, go Administration -> System -> (scroll down) SSH [ LAN Only ]; Password Login [ Y ]; Web Access from WAN [ No ]

Then report back.

OK so you can access the router GUI via browser. On the main screen, at the top, what does it say for your "Internet Status?"

If you're "disconnected" or "offline," try power-cycling the modem, followed by the router about 60 seconds later.

Also - in the GUI, go Administration -> System -> (scroll down) SSH [ LAN Only ]; Password Login [ Y ]; Web Access from WAN [ No ]

Then report back.

it says “connected.” Strangely, I can go online if I’m using express VPN’s app, but not if I turn it off, even though my internet is online. Yes, I’ve done that with SSH.

Okay, so try these at the command prompt:

ping www.google.com
ping 8.8.8.8

If the 8s work and not google.com, then your problem is with DNS.

Try logging into the router via SSH. (Username / PW will be the same as for the GUI)

At the prompt, type amtm

Do you have a thumbdrive or SSD already plugged in and set up for the scripts? I'm guessing so if you do if you already tried to install Diversion.

When the menu loads, enter 7, then go ahead and install unbound. If it throws some errors, go back and adjust settings in the GUI to clear them. Hopefully that'll fix your DNS issue. Also make sure the machines on your network are set to get their DNS from the router.

Login to the router GUI, disable JFFS scripts and custom configs and reboot. See where you are after that.

Ok, I'm in the process of L&LD's "nuclear reset" process. Hopefully, this will sort out the problems.

What's the status Daniel-san?

dave14305 said:
laugh.gif

Had to go through a nuclear reset. Took many hours of resetting to factory default, reinstalling Merlin, and resetting from the GUI, but it’s working now. VPN is up, so is Diversion, Skynet, etc. The lesson for me is to never do anything that I don’t fully understand. L&LD’s guides were extremely useful.

Had to go through a nuclear reset. Took many hours of resetting to factory default, reinstalling Merlin, and resetting from the GUI, but it’s working now. VPN is up, so is Diversion, Skynet, etc. The lesson for me is to never do anything that I don’t fully understand. L&LD’s guides were extremely useful.
I had a similar experience the first time I installed Diversion with pixelserv. I didn't fully understand what was going on back then, and it spooked me. These days, I would just run Diversion in Lite mode without Pixelserv. Much less hassle and not much of a noticeable difference (at least for my browsing habits).

This is especially true if you also have uBlock Origin on your browser. Let Diversion keep the ads out of your network, and let uBlock tidy up the page you're browsing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!