1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Drastically reduced performance with newest fw

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by H.Z., Apr 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. H.Z.

H.Z. Occasional Visitor

Currently I'm using AsusWRT 3.0.0.4.384_45149.
    Today I've upgraded it to the latest version. After the upgrade, the reading from an NFS service slowed down.
    (before the upgrade, reading a text file with about 30000 lines needed ~0.5secs, after the fw upgrade the same read operation ran ~4-5secs...)
    After a brief investigation I've found the source of performance degradation: I'm logging both accepted and dropped packets. In the earlier versions the log shows only packets from the WAN (ppp0) while the newer versions logs every packets which is in different IP range than the router's own.
    I'm using more IP ranges on my LAN (172.16.0.0/12 for physical devices, 192.168.0.0/16 for virtual machines).
    The newer firmwares are logging all traffic between 172.16.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16 when I enable logging accepted packets and it causes this drastic slow down on my network.
    Is there any way to keep the latest firmware, logging both (accepted and dropped) packets but exclude the traffic on the device br0 (IN=br0 and OUT=br0 too) from the logs?

2. CriticJay

CriticJay Regular Contributor

Not enough info.

1. What's your router?

2. Most likely, you are not on the latest firmware since 384_45149 has been superceded for most popular Asus routers at this point in time.

3. H.Z.

H.Z. Occasional Visitor

1st: It is an Asus RT-AC68U (It isn't significant IMHO)
    2nd: Pardon??? I've tried to upgrade to the latest fw, but I can't use it because of its slowness, caused by the new logging method...

4. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I'll admit this seems like a new issue to me which I haven't heard before. ;)

If you can't change the logging method to something else that will allow you to upgrade the firmware to 45713 or RMerlin code, then a reset to factory defaults will. Possibly, a WPS NVRAM erase procedure will be needed too, along with a format the jffs partition on next boot cycle.

When was the last time you performed a full reset to factory defaults?

Please see my M&M Config (link in my signature below) link to get your router back to a good/known state.

CriticJay likes this.