What's new

Drive encryption support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beherit

Regular Contributor
I tried finding a thread about this, but couldn't. Please excuse me if it's already been answered.

Is there support for any kind of drive encryption in merlinwrt? LUKS, ecryptfs, dm-crypt, encfs, native ext4?

I've no need for anything super fancy or NSA-secure. Just something that'll prevent potential burglars that'll steal the drive, from being able to easily browse through whatever is on it.

I don't mind having to manually ssh to the router and manually mount it, if needed.

I was just about to send you the first link. Sometimes, I find it useful also to search using Google as well as using the forum's search facility.

Is there support for any kind of drive encryption in merlinwrt? LUKS and dm-crypt?
You might be able to create a encrypted file container and mount it as a loopback device. However, for full disk encryption the short answer is no. You'd need to turn on an extra kernel feature (CONFIG_MD=y) to use the dm-crypt module. Then you need to put Cryptsetup on /jffs or compile it into the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. So, it works but you have to DIY. I'm using dm-crypt + Cryptsetup LUKS on Asuswrt-Merlin, and it works.