What's new

Dropbear: Public/Private key pair + passphrase doesn't work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

M

M@rco

Question: does dropbear accept ssh key pairs with a passphrase? I've copied a public key into the ssh settings (which I normally use, I just generated a new one), but noticed that once I used a passphrase it kept refusing to connect. The keypair was generated with Puttygen and converted to openssh format, to be used with Xshell 5. I tried Xshell, Putty, Xftp, WinSCP but nothing allowed me to connect with a key and a passphrase. When I entered a different public key without a passphrase, it connects immediately. Is anyone succesfully using both?

The password is only on your local key, not on the public key you put on the router. Password-protected private keys are fine, I use one myself.

Don't forget to specify the user when connecting.

Okay, thanks Eric . Good to know it should work, then I must have made a mistake while copy pasting probably.

I also use a passphrase on all devices - have done so for several years, so it must be a simple error.

If you discover the error let us know.

Ehm, I think I was the error. Can't reproduce what went wrong yesterday. Generated a new key pair, secured the private key with a passphrase , copied the new public key to the WebUI and everything works as it's supposed to. Thanks for helping me out though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!