What's new

Dropped Connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Danish

Occasional Visitor
I bought the RT-N66R a few days ago and updated the fw to 260 as soon as I set it up. Ever since I got it, it has been dropping connections mutiple times a day. Especially on the 5ghz. But this only happens about 50 ft away from the router. If I update the fw to a previous build or Merlin's latest fw would it fix the issue? Thanks

Last edited:
Have you at least a cat5e cable between the WAN-port and the isp:s equipment ? Use inSSIder to look for a fixed channel on both wireless bands.

I bought the RT-N66R a few days ago and updated the fw to 260 as soon as I set it up. Ever since I got it, it has been dropping connections mutiple times a day. Especially on the 5ghz. If I update the fw to a previous build or Merlin's latest fw would it fix the issue? Thanks

Have you at least a cat5e cable between the WAN-port and the isp:s equipment ? Use inSSIder to look for a fixed channel on both wireless bands.

I'm using it as an access point for fios Internet, so I have a cat6 between the ISP routers LAN port and the asus LAN. Another cat6 between the pc and asus LAN, as per noted in dslreports.

The wireless drivers on the last 2 Asus stack firmwares are shaky for some, like mine depending on the environment and have to go back to the .220 version or used Merlin's firmware to regain stability. Asus has a leaked Beta .321 that has a newer wireless drivers, I tested it to see if they fixed the instability in the last firmwares and they did fix the problem. Hopefully, Asus release the firmware with the new drivers on time before Merlin's .24th release. :) Try Merlin's and see if your wireless stabilizes.

I've tried Merlin's latest firmware and the issue still persists. I'm starting to think it might be defective hardware.

Have you updated the 5ghz client device drivers? I have similar disconnects with an iPhone 5 @5g, it seems to not able to handle the higher channels 149-161 very well. Since I change the wireless channel to the lower frequency( I use static 44 @40MHZ/wireless mode: N only) the iPhone liked it.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!