1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Dropping devices off 2.4 network

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by EventPhotoMan, Jan 20, 2020.

1. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Very Senior Member

So here goes a long one. I’m only posting this to let people know the progress I’m on for my @lifx bulbs.

the problem... opening the app and lost control of the bulb and the iOS app says it’s off line.

Today I was binding MAC addresses with IP addresses and making sure each device had a unique host name. I’m running a log server, so I can watch my gateway/router and four access points in one location.

see attached log file.

the log files shows a bulb disconnecting and reconnecting to my network. The MAC address D0:23: D5:23:62:C7 or 192.168.1.66

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. EventPhotoMan

I open the iOS for the Lifx bulbs and the bulb shows as being off line now.

Attached Files:

3. EventPhotoMan

And further is shows as disconnected from their Lifx server. But that system log file shows the build as authorized and associated. See the first message.

Attached Files:

4. EventPhotoMan

I use a third party app and do a network scan. And the build shows as being connected to my home network. I can ping the bulb too at 192.168.1.66

Attached Files:

5. EventPhotoMan

Back to the router GUI, and I confirm the Lifx bulb is connected to the home network. Associated and authenicated.

Attached Files:

6. EventPhotoMan

my question is beyond the scope of Merlin, but I’ll ask anyways. When a device renews it’s lease, do you think it is the responsibility of the device to contact the Lifx server and let them know the bulb is still on-line?

or do people like Lifx just assume the bulb is on-line I sill it tries to communicate with it, and if it fails, turn the iOS app to show off-line?

move got a request into Lifx but support is extremely slow.

7. Zeddie

Zeddie New Around Here

I've found out that anything past 384.3_0 causes problems with 2.4 GHz devices with my RT-3200. RT-AC3200_384.4_2.zip was the highest version at the time I was looking at upgrading, and the one before that caused the issue - neither fixed it (I was hoping the next version fixed it).

I decided to downgrade back to 384.3_0 and left it as is and was happy. When I was experiencing some latency issues with one of the 5 GHz band (the lower band), I decided to try another firmware upgrade. This time the latest is RT-AC3200_384.13_2.zip (about 21 months later). I was hoping surely by now this was fixed.

Nope.

It's weird because some devices connect while others don't. And eventually the ones that are connected gets dropped.

I went back to RT-AC3200_384.3_0.zip as that is the last version that seems to be working without any issues.

I swapped my sensitive to latency to 5 GHz Radio 2 (high band) and media devices to Radio 1 (low band) instead.

2.4 GHz performance isn't all that great - I get about 60 Mbps, but it's stable enough for my IoT devices.

Perhaps one day I will find my old 2.4 GHz AP from my parent's house and just use that for IoT devices only and shut off the 2.4 GHz radio on the Asus. OR I can just go with the stock firmware. I haven't found myself using any of the advanced features that Merlin included (I don't think), so might not be a loss to gain stability and functionality.

But for now I'll stick with this old working firmware. I'm surprise this still hasn't been fixed.

8. EventPhotoMan

in my situation, I have Lifx looking into the issue. Hopefully the R &D team can fix it. Keep me posted thou.

9. EventPhotoMan

How long before a device goes off-line? And what is your lease times?

10. jabloomf1230

jabloomf1230 Occasional Visitor

I just noticed this also when I moved a Lifx bulb to a location where it's connected to a RT-AC86U with the latest firmware. I did notice one thread on the Lifx official forum where someone suggested setting up a 2.4Ghz guest network and for some reason that fixed the dropouts.

11. EventPhotoMan

Thanks for the comments.

12. EventPhotoMan

Well after sitting a couple of days on 384.13, the same problems are occurring. The devices are dropping of the network

Attached Files:

13. dugaduga

dugaduga Senior Member

make sure your beacon interval is at 100