Dropping devices off 2.4 network

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
So here goes a long one. I’m only posting this to let people know the progress I’m on for my @lifx bulbs.

the problem... opening the app and lost control of the bulb and the iOS app says it’s off line.

Today I was binding MAC addresses with IP addresses and making sure each device had a unique host name. I’m running a log server, so I can watch my gateway/router and four access points in one location.

see attached log file.

the log files shows a bulb disconnecting and reconnecting to my network. The MAC address D0:23: D5:23:62:C7 or 192.168.1.66

Attachments

Last edited:

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
my question is beyond the scope of Merlin, but I’ll ask anyways. When a device renews it’s lease, do you think it is the responsibility of the device to contact the Lifx server and let them know the bulb is still on-line?

or do people like Lifx just assume the bulb is on-line I sill it tries to communicate with it, and if it fails, turn the iOS app to show off-line?

move got a request into Lifx but support is extremely slow.

Zeddie

New Around Here
I've found out that anything past 384.3_0 causes problems with 2.4 GHz devices with my RT-3200. RT-AC3200_384.4_2.zip was the highest version at the time I was looking at upgrading, and the one before that caused the issue - neither fixed it (I was hoping the next version fixed it).

I decided to downgrade back to 384.3_0 and left it as is and was happy. When I was experiencing some latency issues with one of the 5 GHz band (the lower band), I decided to try another firmware upgrade. This time the latest is RT-AC3200_384.13_2.zip (about 21 months later). I was hoping surely by now this was fixed.

Nope.

It's weird because some devices connect while others don't. And eventually the ones that are connected gets dropped.

I went back to RT-AC3200_384.3_0.zip as that is the last version that seems to be working without any issues.

I swapped my sensitive to latency to 5 GHz Radio 2 (high band) and media devices to Radio 1 (low band) instead.

2.4 GHz performance isn't all that great - I get about 60 Mbps, but it's stable enough for my IoT devices.

Perhaps one day I will find my old 2.4 GHz AP from my parent's house and just use that for IoT devices only and shut off the 2.4 GHz radio on the Asus. OR I can just go with the stock firmware. I haven't found myself using any of the advanced features that Merlin included (I don't think), so might not be a loss to gain stability and functionality.

But for now I'll stick with this old working firmware. I'm surprise this still hasn't been fixed.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
I've found out that anything past 384.3_0 causes problems with 2.4 GHz devices with my RT-3200. RT-AC3200_384.4_2.zip was the highest version at the time I was looking at upgrading, and the one before that caused the issue - neither fixed it (I was hoping the next version fixed it).

I decided to downgrade back to 384.3_0 and left it as is and was happy. When I was experiencing some latency issues with one of the 5 GHz band (the lower band), I decided to try another firmware upgrade. This time the latest is RT-AC3200_384.13_2.zip (about 21 months later). I was hoping surely by now this was fixed.

Nope.

It's weird because some devices connect while others don't. And eventually the ones that are connected gets dropped.

I went back to RT-AC3200_384.3_0.zip as that is the last version that seems to be working without any issues.

I swapped my sensitive to latency to 5 GHz Radio 2 (high band) and media devices to Radio 1 (low band) instead.

2.4 GHz performance isn't all that great - I get about 60 Mbps, but it's stable enough for my IoT devices.

Perhaps one day I will find my old 2.4 GHz AP from my parent's house and just use that for IoT devices only and shut off the 2.4 GHz radio on the Asus. OR I can just go with the stock firmware. I haven't found myself using any of the advanced features that Merlin included (I don't think), so might not be a loss to gain stability and functionality.

But for now I'll stick with this old working firmware. I'm surprise this still hasn't been fixed.
in my situation, I have Lifx looking into the issue. Hopefully the R &D team can fix it. Keep me posted thou.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member

Nope.

How long before a device goes off-line? And what is your lease times?

jabloomf1230

Occasional Visitor
I just noticed this also when I moved a Lifx bulb to a location where it's connected to a RT-AC86U with the latest firmware. I did notice one thread on the Lifx official forum where someone suggested setting up a 2.4Ghz guest network and for some reason that fixed the dropouts.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
I just noticed this also when I moved a Lifx bulb to a location where it's connected to a RT-AC86U with the latest firmware. I did notice one thread on the Lifx official forum where someone suggested setting up a 2.4Ghz guest network and for some reason that fixed the dropouts.
Thanks for the comments.

dugaduga

So here goes a long one. I’m only posting this to let people know the progress I’m on for my @lifx bulbs.

the problem... opening the app and lost control of the bulb and the iOS app says it’s off line.

Today I was binding MAC addresses with IP addresses and making sure each device had a unique host name. I’m running a log server, so I can watch my gateway/router and four access points in one location.

see attached log file.

the log files shows a bulb disconnecting and reconnecting to my network. The MAC address D0:23: D5:23:62:C7 or 192.168.1.66
make sure your beacon interval is at 100

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
I had similar problems with my LiFX A19 bulbs and my recently purchased dual pack RT-AX92U AiMesh routers. I already tried the following steps from the LiFX Troubleshooter, but without success:
  • Disabled Airtime Fairness and WMM APSD for the 2.4GHz band
  • Channel bandwidth 20MHz only
  • Disabled Smart Connect (2.4GHz / 5GHz)
As a final step I fixed the Control Channel to 11 (instead of 'Auto') and that seems to be the magic touch, I haven't lost my A19 bulbs for more than 20 minutes now.
Tomorrow, if everything is still stable I will try to re-enable the Smart Connect feature and see if the bulbs are still staying connected.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
I had similar problems with my LiFX A19 bulbs and my recently purchased dual pack RT-AX92U AiMesh routers. I already tried the following steps from the LiFX Troubleshooter, but without success:
  • Disabled Airtime Fairness and WMM APSD for the 2.4GHz band
  • Channel bandwidth 20MHz only
  • Disabled Smart Connect (2.4GHz / 5GHz)
As a final step I fixed the Control Channel to 11 (instead of 'Auto') and that seems to be the magic touch, I haven't lost my A19 bulbs for more than 20 minutes now.
Tomorrow, if everything is still stable I will try to re-enable the Smart Connect feature and see if the bulbs are still staying connected.
yes wait 24 hours and see what happens

how many bulbs do you have? I have over 80 now.

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
yes wait 24 hours and see what happens

how many bulbs do you have? I have over 80 now.
Unfortunately, I've lost again one A19 (out of 2) which was connected to my main RT-AX92U (router). The other A19 is still connected to the other RT-AX92U (AiMesh node), together with an older (original) LiFX.
BTW, I've also disabled the 'Roaming assistent' for the 2.4GHz band, but that made no difference for that one A19.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Unfortunately, I've lost again one A19 (out of 2) which was connected to my main RT-AX92U (router). The other A19 is still connected to the other RT-AX92U (AiMesh node), together with an older (original) LiFX.
BTW, I've also disabled the 'Roaming assistent' for the 2.4GHz band, but that made no difference for that one A19.
I’ve tried pretty well everything and support says they realize there’s a problem with their Bob’s dropping off the 2.4; but I’ve given up with support because I’ve tried for six months now to get a resolution with them

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
Lifx support informed me that they are working on a FW update to address this problem and I would receive the beta version as soon as it gets to this stage. However, still nothing, so I've send them a reminder yesterday. Meanwhile I have a workaround in having the A19 bulb connected to an old Apple Airport Express access point (just plain good ol' 2.4GHz).