Dropping devices off 2.4 network

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Who’s your contact at LIFX? I’ve been working with them for what feels like two years.

who’s always amazes me there’s something wrong with some system, with Asus, with HP, my wireless mouse and keyboard keep dropping off, With Wireless tags, more issues, it’s a good thing I’m a part-time IT, most homeowners would go berserk

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
Who’s your contact at LIFX? I’ve been working with them for what feels like two years.

who’s always amazes me there’s something wrong with some system, with Asus, with HP, my wireless mouse and keyboard keep dropping off, With Wireless tags, more issues, it’s a good thing I’m a part-time IT, most homeowners would go berserk
A guy named Pete and he told me they had FW version 2.80 in Alpha testing back in July.

BigG80

New Around Here
Hi guys, sorry to barge into this thread but I found it through some furious searching for LIFX Z Strips disconnecting from my router. This thread reads like it's the same problem I'm having with a LIFX Z strip connecting perfectly fine to my TP-Link Archer 2100 router / DSL modem only for it to drop off the network after about 20 minutes. I have a post on reddit, I have literally tried *everything*.

Is this the same issue you're experiencing? It reads that LIFX have acknowledged the problem and are working on a firmware fix? All my other IoT devices work perfectly fine with my TP-Link mesh network, the LIFX Z is the only device that doesn't work properly (FYI, I have two LIFX Mini bulbs that work flawlessly).

(edit: added spoiler tag as it was messing up the thread layout. -rm)

Last edited by a moderator:

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
It’s not asecurity issue with the Lifx bulbs.

I you watch the system log, you will see there is a problem with LIFX bulbs when they renew their lease.

this is why they work well at first and eventually drop off the network.

the bulbs don’t finish the four stages of renewing, and eventually give up.

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
Since I've connected my 'problem' A19 bulb to my old Airport Express access point (still using the same DHCP server on my Asus RT-AX92U) I haven't experienced any disconnects yet. So, I don't think it's DHCP related but rather to the WMM setting which can only be disabled by putting the router in legacy mode.

BigG80

New Around Here
Unfortunately on my TP-Link VR2100 I don't have the option to disable WMM (it is greyed out) and no way of allowing it to be disabled, so I cannot test this.

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
Unfortunately on my TP-Link VR2100 I don't have the option to disable WMM (it is greyed out) and no way of allowing it to be disabled, so I cannot test this.
Maybe you can change the wireless mode to B/G only instead of B/G/N, which is comparable to the 'legacy' mode on Asus routers. In that mode you can disable WMM.

BigG80

New Around Here
Maybe you can change the wireless mode to B/G only instead of B/G/N, which is comparable to the 'legacy' mode on Asus routers. In that mode you can disable WMM.
Unfortunately not on this router, WMM is enabled permanently (no idea why there's a check box) because I can only select variances of 'n' protocols (i.e. 801.11n only , 801.11g/n mixed and 801.11b/g/n mixed). I believe on some models of TP-Link routers (sorry, I know this is an Asus forum!) they have an ability to select an older protocol (e.g. b/g) to allow WMM disablement. Looks like I'm stuck until there's a firmware update for LIFX.

Although my router is a different brand to you, I suspect we're all having the same issues. I don't think forcing a router into a legacy mode to get these expensive bulbs to work is the right thing to do.

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
Unfortunately not on this router, WMM is enabled permanently (no idea why there's a check box) because I can only select variances of 'n' protocols (i.e. 801.11n only , 801.11g/n mixed and 801.11b/g/n mixed). I believe on some models of TP-Link routers (sorry, I know this is an Asus forum!) they have an ability to select an older protocol (e.g. b/g) to allow WMM disablement. Looks like I'm stuck until there's a firmware update for LIFX.

Although my router is a different brand to you, I suspect we're all having the same issues. I don't think forcing a router into a legacy mode to get these expensive bulbs to work is the right thing to do.
As a temporary fix you can also add an old 2.4GHz access point (or router in bridge mode) to your network and have the LIFX connect to that one. That's what I did.

BigG80

New Around Here
As a temporary fix you can also add an old 2.4GHz access point (or router in bridge mode) to your network and have the LIFX connect to that one. That's what I did.
Good suggestion, I've got my old ISP router setup now with the Strip light connected. I hope LIFX are working on this because this is a silly way to get their lights working! ;)

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
Didn't work for me :( - I suspect that although my old router is running as a legacy access point, the TP-Link router is handing all the routing and that's where it's going wrong.
When does your Lifx disconnect, at the time the DHCP lease expires and needs to be renewed?

BigG80

New Around Here
When does your Lifx disconnect, at the time the DHCP lease expires and needs to be renewed?
No, it disconnects sooner than that, normally it stops responding within 20-30 minutes even though I can see the lease time for the bulb is 24 hours. Strangely, even once it stops showing in the router's 'connected device' list the bulb will occasionally respond to the "all lights off / on" button for my zone even though the bulb is showing as "it's gone dark" in the app which tells me there's some amount of connectivity still there as the connectivity starts to fail. It will eventually stop responding altogether though.

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
I had exactly the same behaviour and since it's connected to my Airport Express I have no connection problems anymore, fingers crossed.

BigG80

New Around Here
I'm still really hoping for a permanent fix on this firmware being spoken about, it's clear that there are connectivity issues with the LIFX Z - I've read it here, on Reddit and on their support pages. It's a chronic issue.

ronzelver

Occasional Visitor
I’ve received a response from LIFX support that FW version 2.80 is about to be released in beta. As soon as I get it I will test it and let you know the results.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
No, it disconnects sooner than that, normally it stops responding within 20-30 minutes even though I can see the lease time for the bulb is 24 hours. Strangely, even once it stops showing in the router's 'connected device' list the bulb will occasionally respond to the "all lights off / on" button for my zone even though the bulb is showing as "it's gone dark" in the app which tells me there's some amount of connectivity still there as the connectivity starts to fail. It will eventually stop responding altogether though.
Just be cause the lease time it set for 24 hours , dose not mean the client is not trying to renew it. It can happen any time.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
And also, the app has nothing to do with your LIFX. Bulb connectivity to the internet. The app only gets its info from the Lifx servers. That’s a separate issue.

BigG80

New Around Here
Just be cause the lease time it set for 24 hours , dose not mean the client is not trying to renew it. It can happen any time.
And also, the app has nothing to do with your LIFX. Bulb connectivity to the internet. The app only gets its info from the Lifx servers. That’s a separate issue.
Good points, thank you.

I’ve received a response from LIFX support that FW version 2.80 is about to be released in beta. As soon as I get it I will test it and let you know the results.
Great news, any more detail on what that FW update is to address? Is it this specific disconnect issue?