What's new

Dropping Ethernet connection to external switch every night

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

prom3theu5

New Around Here
Happy Holidays all!

move a strange issue I can’t work out.
happens on both official and Merlin on an Ax56u

Basically I have the 56u as the main router with an external unmanaged switch connected to port 2 (Netgear Gs108)

i then have a cat7 cable that runs through the floor boards downstairs with another gs108 connected to it

in that I have a bunch of devices, the tv, games console and Phillips hue bridge etc. Also have an eero 6 pro plugged i to that in bridge mode with one other eero on the network managed by this device. It is in bridge mode with no dhcp server running in it. The only DHCP server is the ASUS

now the problem. Every night about 3am the ASUS drops the Ethernet connection to the first external switch. I can see in the logs LINk Down on eth3 then a few seconds later link up at 1gbps however the router doesn’t display that the port is active and I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in every morning.
This means that the eeros all drop connection and my heating and everything goes offline in the middle of the night every day. All the wired devices also go offline. But the wifi on the ASUS works fine still as does other Ethernet sockets in it. I’ve tried changing socket. No difference issue just moves to new socket

currently on latest Merlin firmware. Can’t figure out what’s happening here.

I have spanning tree protocol enabled and jumbo frames disabled on the ASUS

I’ve also tried swapping the switches (GS108) for others I have

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

now the problem. Every night about 3am the ASUS drops the Ethernet connection to the first external switch. I can see in the logs LINk Down on eth3 then a few seconds later link up at 1gbps however the router doesn’t display that the port is active and I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in every morning.
This means that the eeros all drop connection and my heating and everything goes offline in the middle of the night every day.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My suggestion would be to not make HVAC dependant on the data/home network since this is typically not robust enough.

OE

Thanks for reply.
plan is to offload to a dedicated setup of home assist or openhab in the new year but for now stuck with that

i should have said this setup has been fine for over a year but these problems have only started since I’ve introduced the eero.

Originally I had the isps router upstairs with the switch plugged I to that and the ASUS at the bottom end of the cat7 acting as a switch and entire setup was stable

i got the eeros for free and figured I’d improve our wireless coverage with them

first setup was setting isp router to modem mode and using the eero as the gateway but wasn’t happy with the heat and also experienced this issue but with the ASUS losing connection downstairs all of a sudden

thought that the eero (which was extremely hot to the touch) was throttling and dropping wired so switched it to bridge mode and used the ASU’s as main router.

however that doesn’t appear to be the issue, but I am more comfortable with the ASUS being the main. Low ram usage, low cpu usage and about 50 degrees temp. Everything was fine for 3 days then the nightly issues started.

thinking as a stop gap I can band aid this with a cron job running something like

ip a | grep -Eq ': eth5:.*state UP' || ifconfig eth5 up

But not really a fan of bandaids lol

Are the eero units identical to each other with identical wall warts, or have you maybe somehow mis-matched the units/warts if not?

Sometimes we get what we pay for, though in this case the fine print may indicate they aren't actually free. Got a "technology fee" on the bill?

The eero's are fine - I moved them to another network and no issue at all there
Back on my home connection = I've replaced them with 3 xe75 deco's and low and behold the same thing has started happening.

The asus drops wired connection to the switch - forcing all other wired devices offline that are connected to that switch
I've swapper the switch for an identical and another model - all three unmanaged

I've tried with STP on and off.

At a loss.