What's new

DS1515+ died. The next step?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Signal2Noise

Occasional Visitor
I have a Synology DS1515+ that's been running flawlessly for almost 2 years. Suddenly & unexpectedly it died within a few days ago. It will not power on. With some searching on the interwebs I learned the problem could be either with the built-in PSU, or CPU, or the motherboard. Apparently there were quality issues in pre-2016 NAS builds. Can anyone here verify this? Considering the old Drobo FS I have has been chugging along merrily with original HDDs for almost 7 years or so this Synology crap-out really surprised me.

Fortunately I had bought a 3 year extended in-store warranty on it because it's a NAS. So it is in the shop now and I'll know the outcome hopefully within the week. Because of the in-store extra warranty policy if the DS1515+ cannot be repaired by 5 days it will be replaced with new one or current equivalent if 1515+ is no longer available. What would be an appropriate replacement model by the way?

The drives I had in the DS1515+ stored primarily music to stream to SONOS and movies to Plex/AppleTV. So if the scenario becomes a new Synology model replacement what do I need to do to keep the media files intact? Is it a simple 'just put drives into new NAS and everything will be okay'? Or will there be some preliminary prep work to get things organized without losing the data already residing on the hard drives?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. TIA

I just went through the same ordeal with DS1513+. Synology replaced the unit with a new 1513. Plugging in my old drives didn't do the trick as I expected. I wound up re-installing the DSM using DSM finder, but once that was done, all my data was still intact. All of the applications and configuration however had to be done from scratch. Since there was a replacement for an older 1513, I don't think you will get anything other than 1515. That being said, it is not the worst choice for what you use it for anyway!

Thanks for the reply! Good to know about the data not being lost. I posted this query in the Synology forum as well. A user advised me if I do get another DS1515+ as replacement to ensure the serial number starts with "172" or higher. He/she also thought DS1517+ *could* be offered as well depending on supply.

I have a Synology DS1515+ that's been running flawlessly for almost 2 years. Suddenly & unexpectedly it died within a few days ago. It will not power on

the DS1515+ might have the Intel C20** AVR54 bug, and they have a warranty extension.

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c2000-series-bug-quiet/

Contact Synology customer support directly for assistance here...

background info

https://www.synology.com/en-global/company/news/article/Synology_Product_Status_Update/Synology® Product Status Update

Last edited:
Holy thread resurrection!!!

So replacement DS1515+ died today. About 18 months since getting it as a replacement for the original unit that started this thread. Now that there is no warranty I have submitted a support ticket with Synology to see what they say about it. In the meantime I have ordered a new DS1019+ thru my LCS which I should receive in a day or two since none were in stock today. Also again purchased an extra in-store 4 year warranty. I am not trusting Synology hardware given the last 5 year experience.

I'm also thinking of watching sales on equivalent Qnap or other NAS brand and move on from Synology. Maybe the 1019+ is better as reviews have been positive but time will tell.

I see some threads here about the 918+ but am curious of others experience with 1019+.

TIA & HNY