What's new

DS2413+ - Lost Power While Expanding RAID6 Array

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

msheffer

Occasional Visitor
NOTE: I posted this on the Synology official forum site but it looks like no one is really active there any more.

Added another drive to the unit and started the expansion on the volume. About 80% into the expansion, we lost power and the UPS wasn't able to keep the DS2413+ on long enough for power to restore (I'll address this issue later). Upon reboot, Storage Manager wanted to repair the RAID6 array but does not show the full new volume size. If I SSH into the unit, it does show the correct volume size. All data is accessible. Anyway I can fix this after the repair is complete?

DS2413+
DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 5
RAM 4096 MB
Volume:
RAID6
9xWD 6TB Red HDDs
1xSamsung 250GB EVO SSD for cache

SSH:

ash-4.3# mdadm --detail /dev/md2
/dev/md2:
Version : 1.2
Creation Time : Sat Dec 26 17:52:57 2015
Raid Level : raid6
Array Size : 40989903808 (39091.02 GiB 41973.66 GB)
Used Dev Size : 5855700544 (5584.43 GiB 5996.24 GB)
Raid Devices : 9
Total Devices : 9
Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Sat Dec 24 10:23:44 2016
State : active, degraded, recovering
Active Devices : 8
Working Devices : 9
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
Chunk Size : 64K

Rebuild Status : 7% complete

Name : DiskStation:2 (local to host DiskStation)
UUID : 978c8fd4:16cceef5:4896b3dd:cef41399
Events : 444537

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
0 8 3 0 active sync /dev/sda3
1 8 19 1 active sync /dev/sdb3
2 8 35 2 active sync /dev/sdc3
3 8 51 3 active sync /dev/sdd3
4 8 67 4 active sync /dev/sde3
5 8 99 5 active sync /dev/sdg3
6 8 83 6 active sync /dev/sdf3
7 8 115 7 active sync /dev/sdh3
9 8 131 8 spare rebuilding /dev/sdi3
ash-4.3#

NOTE: I posted this on the Synology official forum site but it looks like no one is really active there any more.

Added another drive to the unit and started the expansion on the volume. About 80% into the expansion, we lost power and the UPS wasn't able to keep the DS2413+ on long enough for power to restore (I'll address this issue later). Upon reboot, Storage Manager wanted to repair the RAID6 array but does not show the full new volume size. If I SSH into the unit, it does show the correct volume size. All data is accessible. Anyway I can fix this after the repair is complete?

Take a deep breath and give the array time to sort itself - mdadm (under the hood) is doing what it can... give it time - depending on the size of the RAID set, it might be a couple of hours or a couple of days...

I certainly hope you have a backup plan for that NAS, as messing around with a working RAID set and File System can be destructive...

These kind of things seem simple at the beginning, but there is a probability that things will go wrong, and when they do..

I'm not panicking at all. All my data is accessible and backed up. Just wondering is there is CLI command or an easy way to get it to report the size in DSM correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just wanted to update my post if anyone else sees this for a similar issue. I just needed to wait for the repair to complete for the free space was avaliable for initialization.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk