What's new

DS415Play dropping apparently healthy drive from array

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tranceaddict84

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks. I have a DS415Play with 4x6TB WD Red drives in RAID5. A couple of weeks ago my A/C unit tripped my circuit breaker and when I flipped the power back my NAS started beeping. The volume was shown as degraded with disk 2 not initialised. I reinitialised the disk, ran a quick SMART test which showed fine, and rebuilt my RAID.

This week I had my A/C replaced and I shut down the NAS cleanly so the installers could cut the power. Again when I brought the NAS back up the volume was degraded and disk 2 was uninitialised.

I had something similar a while back when I updated DSM, and checking back through my previous posts on the Synology forum I see it was the same disk in that instance, too:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 64#p419564

I have replaced the disk as a precaution and my RAID is rebuilding again. However I have put the old disk in my PC and run a WD DLDIAG extended test and that came back fine. When it's done rebuilding I will cleanly shut down the NAS, unplug and leave it 10 minutes before I bring it back up. I will repeat this process several times until I'm happy that it is healthy following a clean shutdown / startup.

Has anyone seen anything similar before? Is the Synology just far more sensitive to something that even an extended SMART test and full surface scan doesn't detect? I am concerned this is a false positive or a firmware bug causing a perfectly healthy drive to drop out of the array, and there's nothing to say it won't reoccur with a new drive. I can't very well do a 48 hour RAID rebuild every time I power cycle my NAS.

I would be greatly reassured if I can confirm that disk is indeed faulty and RMA it. Can anyone recommend a more thorough HDD test utility that might pick up something DLDIAG misses? (I used to use MHDD from a DOS boot USB so I might dig that out a bit later.)

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!