What's new

DSL 68u - how to reconnect Internet connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

icstm

New Around Here
Hi,

Quick Question:
On stock firmware, what is the easiest way to reconnect to the internet when the connection is down? Is there a button to press? Previous routers have the option to connect, however there are no such options on the WAN pages and indeed those pages do not show the internet has been disconnected.

The box says the DSL is still active (and shows it has been connected for hours) but the Internet Status on the main page (Network Map) will show disconnected and indeed no device can connect to the internet.
The internal Wifi continues to work fine.

Any thoughts?

So to confirm the "network Map" page will show internet disconnected, however the Log page will not yet report this and so I either have to wait 5 mins for the box to detect that the WAN connection is dropped and for it to reconnect, or at the moment, I do I manual work around.

I have to toggle the WAN Connection button on the "network map" page. So switch WAN off and switch it back on. When the wife is here without me, this is not the easiest to explain.

More importantly the router option to display a "WAN down browser redirect" does not work as the box does not appear to know the WAN is down, other than on the Network Map graphic.

I had a similar problem with my second DSL-AC68U randomly disconnecting so I can appreciate your frustration.

The quick explanation as to why the Network Map shows internet disconnected but the DSL details shows a connection to the exchange is that you have SYNC but have lost AUTH e.g. you have a connection to the exchange but are not "logged in".

I did not think of switching the WAN on and off to reconnect; normally I achieved this by re-entering my ISP log on details via QIS, occasionally when this did not work I had to hard boot the router.

After some relatively exhaustive testing I resorted to raising a ticket with Asus (fortunately my router was still in warranty purchased April 2020; manufactured 2019) as the problem did not appear to be firmware related which pointed to the hardware causing it. After initially trying to fob me off that the problem was due to issues with my wireless connections Asus eventually asked me to RMA so was able to get it replaced.

Further details in my post here.

Hope this helps...let us know how you get on.

p.s. It's useful to state the specific version of the 'stock' firmware you're using, in case your issue is a known firmware problem, as the current version changes as new versions are released...although I'd err on hardware being the culprit, as it was for me.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!