What's new

DSL-AC52U assign manual ip

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rayfaraang

New Around Here
I have assigned 2 ips in the manual section as you can see in the attached pic
192.168.1.3 assigned to 192.168.1.30
192.168.1.15 assigned to 192.168.1.50
But when i go back to the Network map screen 1 of the ips that i assigned remain the same ip numbers.
Have they been assigned to the new numbers or not?
Please look at the pics

Attachments

• DHCP screem.png
    DHCP screem.png
    358 KB · Views: 430
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.42.20 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.42.20 pm.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 390
I have assigned 2 ips in the manual section as you can see in the attached pic
192.168.1.3 assigned to 192.168.1.30
192.168.1.15 assigned to 192.168.1.50
But when i go back to the Network map screen 1 of the ips that i assigned remain the same ip numbers.
Have they been assigned to the new numbers or not?
Please look at the pics

First under Basic Config, you must reduce the DHCP server IP pool to something like 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.254. This will leave 192.168.1.0 through 192.168.1.99 free for manual/static IP assignment by MAC address.

OE

No need for that , i just looked at the router again and they assignments are all good now, must have been slow changing over

Thanks for the follow-up... good to know.

OE

First under Basic Config, you must reduce the DHCP server IP pool to something like 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.254. This will leave 192.168.1.0 through 192.168.1.99 free for manual/static IP assignment by MAC address.

OE

Just to clear up a frequent source of confusion - if you configure a DHCP reservation on the webui, then it should be within the DHCP scope. Those are DHCP leases, it's just that dnsmasq is told to always assign that specific IP for that given MAC.

The instance where you should use IPs from outside of the DHCP scope is for a static IP. That's an IP you manually configure on your client device, not through the DHCP reservation page.

Technically, dnsmasq won't force you to do this, but it's considered "best practice" to do it that way.

Just to clear up a frequent source of confusion - if you configure a DHCP reservation on the webui, then it should be within the DHCP scope. Those are DHCP leases, it's just that dnsmasq is told to always assign that specific IP for that given MAC.

The instance where you should use IPs from outside of the DHCP scope is for a static IP. That's an IP you manually configure on your client device, not through the DHCP reservation page.

Technically, dnsmasq won't force you to do this, but it's considered "best practice" to do it that way.

Thank you for explaining this... I did not know.

I'll stop interfering with the dnsmasq scope ... one less thing to do!

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!