FlexQoS [DSL-AC68U] Adaptive QOS (including FlexQoS) causes latency variation & intermittent packet loss (zero gaming traffic?)

  • ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

mitchg223

New Around Here
Hi, I am on Australian FTTN NBN which is fibre to the node and then VDSL2 to the premises. My exchange bitrate is 29500kbps down and 8500kbps up, with download speeds varying between 26mbps and 29mbps depending on peak hours. upload is a perfect 8.5mbps at all times.
I started off with the stock firmware and gave my gaming device "Highest" priority in the bandwidth monitor, and enabled the stock Adaptive QoS with download bandwidth set to 25mpbs (between 85% & 95% of download speed, depending on time) and upload bandwidth at 8mpbs (95%).

As described in the title, when gaming my ping will fluctuate between 25ms and 40ms, and a couple times per minute there will be a mild spike of packet loss. So I switched to Traditional QoS, giving my PC Highest priority for all traffic. Voila it worked magnificently, with an incredibly stable latency and seemingly not dropping a single packet. However this was not a sustainable solution as I didn't want to be hogging bandwidth from the other users.

So I thought that perhaps ASUS's stock QoS is just garbage, and installed GNUton Merlin stable 386.01_2 with FlexQoS. I am currenting using the fq_codel queue discipline (but have also tried the default), a WAN packet overhead of 30, and default iptables + appdb redirections + bandwidth allocations. It is properly classifying all my game activity into the appropriate category. However I am still noticing the latency variation + packet loss.

Should I increase the minimum bandwidth for gaming? (despite it generally only needing a very small amount of data), should I be using 100% for the all the maximums? Unfortunately networking is my weak point, and am hoping someone who knows what they're doing can guide me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

EDIT: It seems as though the Trend Micro signatures were missing a lot of game connections, so I enabled the "Gaming Rule" entry in the iptable and it seems to have fixed that. But I have identified a bigger problem that is most likely the culprit:
Despite my connections being correctly classified as Gaming, there is ALMOST ZERO gaming traffic recorded in both the Classification download/upload pie charts, and in the FlexQoS rate-time graphs! This is probably why it's lagging; the gaming traffic is getting treated with a low priority.
 
Last edited:

LloydV

New Around Here
It seems as though the Trend Micro signatures were missing a lot of game connections, so I enabled the "Gaming Rule" entry in the iptable and it seems to have fixed that. But I have identified a bigger problem that is most likely the culprit:
Despite my connections being correctly classified as Gaming, there is ALMOST ZERO gaming traffic recorded in both the Classification download/upload pie charts, and in the FlexQoS rate-time graphs! This is probably why it's lagging; the gaming traffic is getting treated with a low priority.

edit: I am now running 386.02_6-gnuton1 on my DSL-AC68U and am having the exact same problem. Stock firmware was detecting Call of Duty Warzone as "Call of Duty" on the bandwidth monitor tab, but now it is being detected as "General" traffic.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top