What's new

[DSL-AC68U] GNUton / Merlin builds for DSL routers - v386 ALPHA testing only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernol

Very Senior Member
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/@GNUton ... hope you watching the RMerlin progress on the 386 code which [for the RT-AC68U] has reached Alpha3 :D
The Asus stock 386 code already released for the DSL-AC68U has some useful additions and bug fixes - which hopefully will be available to you through RMerlin 386 code when released.

Looking forward to being able to re-apply all those wonderful Merlin-Add-Ons which are not available under 386 stock firmware :cool:.

I hope this extension of the original thread can be made "sticky" - [so annoying that I was unable to post this in the original thread because that thread was started more than 6 months ago!] I had flagged it is a "watched" thread so I could be notified via email about posts [did not want to miss the next release] ;).

EDIT: - Ignore sticky request - would FAR prefer @GNUton opening his OWN Release thread once he is ready to do so ... :) !!

Last edited:
Howdy!
I am finally happy to announce I have published a new alpha release of the my builds based on the latest Merlin firmware.

WARNING: It's an ALPHA RELEASE so it has very little tested.

The things changed from the previous release are:
- The new code is now based on the @RMerlin master branch and it's much cleaner than what we had before.
- Modem firmware and all prebuilds are now up-to-date to latest GPL DSL-AC86 Release and hopefully it would be much simpler now to have newer releases.
- I have now direct contact to Asus devs, so we can get better support if there is any problem.
- The custom code I added to my builds (eg: checking for latest gnuton firmware updates) has not been integrated yet
- the new 386 interface is beautiful and rich in new features (game mode, open nat...) not sure if these features really work yet although.

So if you are curious and you have some time, please test the new firmware.
It can be found at

Please open tickets to address issues and before flashing get a working TRX to go back to a tested firmware in case something goes pear shaped.

1605659895882.png

Thanks!

Great news @GNUton ... but I am puzzled by the GPL version your latest code is based on [as stated on your Github page]?

I can see you have had a "hectic" time merging and building from a massive variety of different bits of code for lots of different router models - and certainly seem to have included some of the NEW version 386 code ... so surely this should be a 386.1_0-gnuton1 version ? ;).

I will setup on a spare DSL-AC68U router and report back.

Sadly ... [and yet VERY happily] the end of copper DSL connectivity is just a few months away here in South Africa ... so DSL modems will no longer be required here. We have excellent Mobile Data connectivity [though expensive] and ever improving Fibre availability and speeds.

i've dived in and it seems mostly ok - seems the AI protection isnt working tho - if a device is on content block it still allows dodge websites - also noticed the below DSL info is missing and the Signature version is 0

Shouldnt the version be 386?

1605678158550.png

@GNUton

Hi Glad to see you back.

Can you open NEW thread so you are thread owner and can edit top post when you decide to release build and other information.

Octopus

@GNUton

Hi Glad to see you back.

Can you open NEW thread so you are thread owner and can edit top post when you decide to release build and other information.

Octopus
I would suggest he opens new thread once he has Release version done and has corrected his version numbering - this thread can then be closed by the moderator to avoid confusion :)

EDIT: - I have changed Thread to BETA / Alpha ... and incidentally I was forced to open this thread simply because my attempt to post on the original was curtailed by the thread passing the 6 month time limit :(.

Last edited:
Great news @GNUton ...

Sadly ... [and yet VERY happily] the end of copper DSL connectivity is just a few months away here in South Africa ... so DSL modems will no longer be required here.

Good for you. No such luck in Australia - not that I’m bothered. COVID-19 has provided me with the perfect excuse not to return.

Hello
can someone tell me which firmware I need to flash to my RT-AC68U to get Aimesh wifi to work with a DSL-AC68u 384.17-gnuton ? LAN is ok but not WIFI...

@GNUton - the DSL section not working for me - cannot get connected and like Post #4 above from @r0bbieNZ above no driver versions shown.
Tried resets - fresh settings - etc - no connection via DSL.

Have reverted to Asus Stock 386_39648 - and immediately DSL worked with same settings that your Alpha version did not.
This is the DSL log under Asus Stock
DSL-log.JPG

EDIT: Noticed that above driver and major DSL updates were included in Asus Stock Version 3.0.0.4.386_38287 ...

DSL:
- Updated ATM/PTM ISP List.
- Updated DSL firmware to v1.0.5.1.
- Updated DMT library to V5.6.36.0.
- Added Italy ISP Vodafone to ATM auto detection list.
- Disabled bitswap while manual setting area is Turkey.
- Fixed possible wrong ATM detection in QIS.
- Fixed setting IPTV profile not work in QIS.

but pretty sure you know that already ;) ... just got to find a way to make it stick :D.
You can do it .... :cool:.

Last edited:
Hello
can someone tell me which firmware I need to flash to my RT-AC68U to get Aimesh wifi to work with a DSL-AC68u 384.17-gnuton ? LAN is ok but not WIFI...

I think it will be best for you to wait a while longer until version 386 of the firmware is released for both the RT-AC68U and the DSL-AC68U [both are in Alpha testing right now].

This new 386 code brings with it AiMesh version 2.0 which looks to be better than the earlier version.

@GNUton - this is what my DSL Log looks like after flashing with your Alpha2 firmware flashed over Asus stock [pictured above] ..
DSL-log-gnuton.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am not sure what's going on here yet but I will try to figure it out. I need to test it on my DSL too.
Merlin master branch and public DSL-AC68U are both based on 386.

BUG CREATED: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/45
I noticed that the screen dump you included in post #2 above showed exactly what my webui did after flash of your alpha2
Capture-gnuton4.JPG

The network cable is not unplugged - it is the DSL drivers that have failed somehow to be included in the firmware - or if they are there - then have failed to load correctly.

i've dived in and it seems mostly ok - seems the AI protection isnt working tho - if a device is on content block it still allows dodge websites - also noticed the below DSL info is missing and the Signature version is 0

Shouldnt the version be 386?

View attachment 27735
This is a known issue and I do know what's the problem. I will fix in the next pre-release
BUG: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/46
I am not sure what's going on here yet but I will try to figure it out. I need to test it on my DSL too.
Merlin master branch and public DSL-AC68U are both based on 386.

BUG CREATED: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/45
@GNUton
According to Rmerlin this explains it at this post

Self compiles no longer work with AI-Protect as Asus has locked it down by not including it in basic GPL's. Adaptive Qos no longer works with self compiles either. The only people privy to making it work is Asus and @RMerlin to protect the licensing and sanctity of trend mirco.( Too many Illegal Firmwares have tried to Break TrendMicro licensing by using it illegally on unlicensed products)

Another post of interest to those who ask about the steps involved in adding trendmicro back.

Last edited:
@GNUton
According to Rmerlin this explains it at this post

Self compiles no longer work with AI-Protect as Asus has locked it down by not including it in basic GPL's. Adaptive Qos no longer works with self compiles either. The only people privy to making it work is Asus and @RMerlin to protect the licensing and sanctity of trend mirco.( Too many Illegal Firmwares have tried to Break TrendMicro licensing by using it illegally on unlicensed products)

Another post of interest to those who ask about the steps involved in adding trendmicro back.

There remains a substantial market for DSL modem/routers around the globe - even if their usage is in decline, it will take another decade before that connectivity dies like dial-ups did. So ... for all those stuck in territories where DSL is the only landline option ... I really hope that @GNUton is somehow enabled to compile to include the proprietary "Trend Micro" and other necessary closed source bits.

GNUton says that he now has direct contact with Asus engineers - so hopefully this issue is already being addressed?

There remains a substantial market for DSL modem/routers around the globe - even if their usage is in decline, it will take another decade before that connectivity dies like dial-ups did. So ... for all those stuck in territories where DSL is the only landline option ... I really hope that @GNUton is somehow enabled to compile to include the proprietary "Trend Micro" and other necessary closed source bits.

GNUton says that he now has direct contact with Asus engineers - so hopefully this issue is already being addressed?
They or RMerlin might disclose to him what he needs to know because he is technically not breaking any proprietary agreements to provide his fork of merlin to DSL users. But to be fair to @GNUton and the users of his fork, they should know it is not a glitch or a bug that is causing trendmicro not to work.

Last edited:

Trend micro should now work.. I need to test it once home. (Thanks to @RMerlin)
DSL still not working but I may have found the cause of the issue..

Trend micro should now work.. I need to test it once home. (Thanks to @RMerlin)
DSL still not working but I may have found the cause of the issue..

Excellent news ... let us know when alpha3 ready ... but please fix version number to 386.1_0-gnuton1 ... or whatever as long as it shows 386 rather than 384 ... :D .

The new alpha3 pre-release is ready for testing:
I ran a speed test and my ping is now 5 instead of 16. Pretty interesting! :D

In any case this is the current status:
DSL: Works
Trend Micro: Fixed, but I am not sure if it really works yet. more testing needed
Entware:not tested yet.
QOS: Seems to work, but futher testing needed
USB: not tested yet.
AI Mesh: not tested yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.