What's new

DSL-AC68U firmware with Aimesh-node (child) support over Wifi and LAN backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grisu

Part of the Furniture
First time Asus published a beta firmware which allows to use DSL-AC68U as Aimesh-NODE!
DSL-AC68U_8.0.0.4_919_0-gd3b2011_DSL_1.0.4.9.trx.zip
Factory reset needed before using it as node, setting done in GUI or app.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/22B748FCE9444B669810BCBD8AEC3D8DY

THANKS to UK_sentinel in his forum!
https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/dsl-ac68u-support-setup-as-aimesh-re-node-child-beta/

Now many with this popular DSL modemrouter are able to reuse it in mesh configuration as child-node without DSL modem part.

Last edited:
Was waiting for this to put a spare DSL-AC68U to good use. Seems to have an issue with the connection quality between the node and the router however -- it shows as just 1 bar on the 5Ghz band. It also seems to be using a different channel (52) that is different to the other access points (was set manually to 149).

Existing network -- a DSL-AC68U as my main router (connected to TPG here in Australia) and a RT-AC68U as a node (running wirelessly). Has been working ok - but the distance/walls between them and where the node needed to be (to hardwire some devices) was a bit far at times.

Loaded the beta firmware onto the spare DSL-AC68U - seemed to sync fine and it was up and running. Placed it in-between the existing node and the main router. Noticed some devices dropping off the network, streaming audio issues (an Arlo baby camera) and devices (like my iPhone) getting kicked off the network. Turned off Airtime fairness, set the channels to manual, turned off beam forming, played around with the Roaming assistant settings (set both 2.4 and 5Ghz to -70) with moderate success. Still some issues with streaming and stability however. Then noticed that no matter how close the DSL-AC68U was to the main node - still 1 bar. Literally 2 feet from it...

Reset the 2 nodes and re-added them - same issue. Wondering if there's any other reset process I should be following, if the channel the new node is on should actually match the rest of the network or if there's some known issue(s) with the beta firmware at this time.

Hopefully just some small tweaks required! Any advice is appreciated.

In case I want to use the DSL-AC68U as a node with Ethernet backhaul, which port shall I use? Would it work at all? Is there a way to configure e.g. LAN port 1 to act as WAN port? Thank you!!!

First time Asus published a beta firmware which allows to use DSL-AC68U as Aimesh-NODE!
DSL-AC68U_8.0.0.4_919_0-gd3b2011_DSL_1.0.4.9.trx.zip
Factory reset needed before using it as node, setting done in GUI or app.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/22B748FCE9444B669810BCBD8AEC3D8DY

THANKS to UK_sentinel in his forum!
https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/dsl-ac68u-support-setup-as-aimesh-re-node-child-beta/

Now many with this popular DSL modemrouter are able to reuse it in mesh configuration as child-node without DSL modem part.
Your the man
at least it is starting to connect to AImesh as Node
I will and test and see how long this lasts. The surprising thing is that I tried the latest edition of the firmware direct from asus website in the hope this had been updated with Node mode functionality but that appears not to be the case.

I've not had any luck with this function.
Flashed and factory reset the router. I tried to add it as a node, and the node registration went through successfully. At least I can see that it is listed in my node list.
But shortly after adding it as a node, it simply shows as "Offline". I was planning to use this using Wireless backhaul.

Tried the process a second time to the same effect.

I'm running a rt-ac86u as the mesh router, and have a rt-ac68u acting as another mesh node using Ethernet backhaul.

You can have a mix of wired and wireless backhaul with the AIMesh function yes?

You can have a mix of wired and wireless backhaul with the AIMesh function yes?
Yes you can.
Maybe only LAN backhaul works stable with this DSL-beta firmware.
Change your RT-68 for the DSL and use RT wirelessly. Could solve your problems.

the node mode appears to be working.

However everytime i try to connect an of the lan ports to the lan port of my primary router, the system goes haywire and primary router IP address is assigned to DSL router. which would suggest that router is acting as stand alone router.

I have tried to reset router and hen connect cable in which case i lose all nodes and none of them can connect.
Or have it working as Node and hen connecting the ethernet cable.

Ok, so we have to wait for the next final release and hope it will be included.
Be patient so long!

Ok, so we have to wait for the next final release and hope it will be included.
Be patient so long!
So the latest version just dropped (3.0.0.4.384_81140), and it does include AIMesh Node!

I loaded it on over the top of the beta version without clearing any settings, and it works perfectly so far with a wireless backhaul :).

Out of interest, how did you get it to work with wired backhaul? Any time I tried to do this, it formed a network loop which practically crippled my router.

You have to find any solution yourself, few here who got this modem.
Direct firmware download (visible choosing OS others): https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC68U/FW_DSL_AC68U_v300438481140.zip

Version 3.0.0.4.384_81140 2019/09/2442.49 MBytes
ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81140 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
New Feature:
- Now supports setup as AiMesh RE node.

Security Fixes and Improvements:
- Enhanced for Specially-crafted HTTP packet DoS/DDoS attack.

DSL:
- Added VDSL profile for Italy ISP Vodafone.

Bug Fixes and Improvements:
- Enhanced rule list of bandwidth limiter to be cleaned while turning QoS off.
- Updated Samba.
- Fixed AiMesh related issues.
- Fixed the DNS of PPTP/L2TP client may be replaced by the DNS of WAN in pure PPPoE environment.
- Added a hint while enable WPS and wireless authentication method is WPA2-Enterprise or WPA-Auto-Enterprise.
- Added language: KR/NL/SL.
- Fixed multiple memory leaks.
- Added multi-language for client name, AiMesh location on web page.
- Fixed setting wrong protocol of OpenVPN client.
- Enhanced possible domain resolv issue while enable OpenVPN client.
- Enhanced feedback content.
- Added the hint of CA related content error and added LZ4 option in Compression item of OpenVPN server.
- Enhanced SSH/Telnet login protection.
- Added IPv6 support for OpenVPN interface.
- Fixed OpenVPN client manual setting issue.
- Enhanced exported OpenVPN profile comptibility for older version of OpenVPN.
- Fixed possible wrong state of Openvpn server.
- Fixed error of the messaage dnsmasq-dhcp failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s).
- Fixed tdts potential OOM and networkmap OOM issue.
- Fixed setting wrong port with some OpenVPN profile.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 33fa13b545b5c8eff24c4fdb421462e0

Last edited:
So the latest version just dropped (3.0.0.4.384_81140), and it does include AIMesh Node!

I loaded it on over the top of the beta version without clearing any settings, and it works perfectly so far with a wireless backhaul :).

Out of interest, how did you get it to work with wired backhaul? Any time I tried to do this, it formed a network loop which practically crippled my router.
I had the same problem with the Beta firmware...
working as wireless node only.

Latest stock firmware has been confirmed in another forum to introduce Aimesh-child support with LAN backhaul!
https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/...s-aimesh-re-node-child-beta/page/5/#post-5713

So it is possible now to reuse this modemrouter as Aimesh node in child mode with Wifi AND LAN backhaul!

direct download link version 3.0.0.4.384_81981 2019/12/31: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC68U/FW_DSL_AC68U_300438481981.zip
ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81981 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
DSL:
- Added ADSL profile for Lebanon ISP Ogero.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
- Improved the USB Application page.
- Fixed kernel panic by kernel l2tp.
- Fixed missing some routing rules.
- Fixed the issue of OpenVPN client over PPTP/L2TP WAN.
- Improved for OpenVPN client not stopped correctly.
- Improved monotonic time of pppd/rp-pppoe/rp-l2tp.
- Improved server route handling of PPTP/L2TP.
- Fixed ddns server replacing in the exported client profile of OpenVPN server.
- Improved the flow of checking Let's Encrypt at boot up.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt issue with uppercase domain.
- Improved the web page after updated Let's Encrypt certificate.
- Improved feedback and live update if network is unstable.
- Fixed incorrect routing rule of wan.
- Updated dnsmasq to 2.80-95-g1aef66b, fix CNAME loop.
- Fixed PPTP/L2TP reconnection issue.
- Fixed sometimes feedback failed.
- Updated odhcp6c to 1.1-97-ge199804
- Improved nvram space shortage which caused some configuration missing after reboot.

Latest stock firmware has been confirmed in another forum to introduce Aimesh-child support with LAN backhaul!
https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/...s-aimesh-re-node-child-beta/page/5/#post-5713

So it is possible now to reuse this modemrouter as Aimesh node in child mode with Wifi AND LAN backhaul!

direct download link version 3.0.0.4.384_81981 2019/12/31: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC68U/FW_DSL_AC68U_300438481981.zip
ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81981 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
DSL:
- Added ADSL profile for Lebanon ISP Ogero.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
- Improved the USB Application page.
- Fixed kernel panic by kernel l2tp.
- Fixed missing some routing rules.
- Fixed the issue of OpenVPN client over PPTP/L2TP WAN.
- Improved for OpenVPN client not stopped correctly.
- Improved monotonic time of pppd/rp-pppoe/rp-l2tp.
- Improved server route handling of PPTP/L2TP.
- Fixed ddns server replacing in the exported client profile of OpenVPN server.
- Improved the flow of checking Let's Encrypt at boot up.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt issue with uppercase domain.
- Improved the web page after updated Let's Encrypt certificate.
- Improved feedback and live update if network is unstable.
- Fixed incorrect routing rule of wan.
- Updated dnsmasq to 2.80-95-g1aef66b, fix CNAME loop.
- Fixed PPTP/L2TP reconnection issue.
- Fixed sometimes feedback failed.
- Updated odhcp6c to 1.1-97-ge199804
- Improved nvram space shortage which caused some configuration missing after reboot.

Which LAN port should be used on the DSL-AC68U when setup as aimesh node? So far tried LAN1 and LAN4, none works, always stays as wireless. I have uploaded the latest firmware and did a factory reset.

Which LAN port should be used on the DSL-AC68U when setup as aimesh node? So far tried LAN1 and LAN4, none works, always stays as wireless. I have uploaded the latest firmware and did a factory reset.

Normally, the node WAN is connected to the router LAN. Not usre if that applies to a DSL-node.

Does forcing the node connection priority to wired/Ethernet help?

OE