What's new

DSL-AC68U problems accessing the media server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

captainfuzzyface

New Around Here
Hi,

My router is up and running happily, but having setup the media server, my clients can't connect to it. Connection Refused is the message they all get. The main one that I'm using is RhythmBox on Ubuntu 18.04. I've also setup SMB to see if anything could connect to the media files, but that doesn't work either.

Thanks.

Hi,

My router is up and running happily, but having setup the media server, my clients can't connect to it. Connection Refused is the message they all get. The main one that I'm using is RhythmBox on Ubuntu 18.04. I've also setup SMB to see if anything could connect to the media files, but that doesn't work either.

Thanks.
"Connection Refused" is generally caused by attempting to connect to a device you're not logged into. I use a different USB app, Time Machine, and though I did not set it up that way, the ASUS forces me to use the ASUS userid/password to connect. This may be your issue.

"Connection Refused" is generally caused by attempting to connect to a device you're not logged into. I use a different USB app, Time Machine, and though I did not set it up that way, the ASUS forces me to use the ASUS userid/password to connect. This may be your issue.

Thanks for that. I thought that you only needed an anonymous connection for a media server? I know that SMB will require credentials, but a media server too? I have the guest login disabled (as recommended by Asus) but assumed that wouldn't affect the media server. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

Thanks for that. I thought that you only needed an anonymous connection for a media server? I know that SMB will require credentials, but a media server too? I have the guest login disabled (as recommended by Asus) but assumed that wouldn't affect the media server. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

I turned on the iTunes server and now it works. I'm not a great fan of Apple, which is why it was turned off, but I guess that I'll just leave it on. Thanks. for the reply. :)

I turned on the iTunes server and now it works. I'm not a great fan of Apple, which is why it was turned off, but I guess that I'll just leave it on. Thanks. for the reply. :)
I'd never heard of RhythmBox but a quick look at Wikipedia suggests that it's native network streaming is based on DAAP which is Apple's proprietary iTunes protocol. The router's Media Server is different as it is based on UPnP/AV(DLNA)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!